Thread: Singapore!
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2004, 12:04 AM   #1
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Hello everyone,

I'm in Singapore doing the sound for Barney the dinosaur's live tour. "Barney's Big Surprise".... This is an edit of the family update:

My first few days in Singapore have been hot, sweaty, fun, hard work and amazing!

I was travelling alone and when I arrived I was met by a local guy called Derick! He put me in a minibus (just me) and I was dropped of at the hotel. As the bus left I realised the hotel was not the same one as I had in my info... decided too see if I had a reservation anyway and yes, they'd changed hotels without telling me... all good.

Next day started work. The venue is quite astounding. It's a giant entertainment complex with an amusement park, a pool & waterslide park, shopping mall, giant outdoor bars, drive in, bowling, chateaus and villas, conference and function centres, electronic games world, heaps of food courts... It goes on and on.... The idea is you bring the family and spend the day, or book a villa and have your holidays there.

Right in the middle is our venue. It's a big Marquee which seats over 2000. They've got this mega PA - beautiful gear to work with, and an in house guy who I'm really getting along with.

Before they switch on the air con and fans it can be quite hot in there. My multimeter has a tempereture gague and the other day it was literally 40 degrees in the shade. Outside it's been in the mid 30's and sunny during the days, but the humidity... My goodness I am sweating... I drank about 4 litres of gatorade the other day and didn't need a bathroom...

We've been sampling the local food courts around our hotel and venue (the crew that is - the cast are soft...) It's insane! There is food everywhere! You just have to walk a few blocks and find what they call hawkers centre everywhere. Cheap tasty food and drinks.

Last night the set builder and I went down to Chinatown. It really felt like we were in Asia then. Up untill that point it had been a sort of western asian experience. As in KFC next to 'Pig Organs' next to Pizza Hut next to 'Special Seafood and Lucky Rice'.

Chinatown looked and felt like...a chinatown should. Similar to sydneys dixon st but sprawling, darker and more...Chinese? It was great.

Well, gotta go. More soon.

Oh yeah, our show is already sold out. We don't open till next wednesday... The Barney made a promo appearance at the airport yesterday and was mobbed by 3000+ screaming kids. The guy in the suit was telling us he felt like a rock star. Then we reminded him they were screaming 'Barney' not 'Joel'...

Delboy.