Thread: Euro 2004
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2004, 08:40 AM   #334
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I give you that Memnoch, but basketball and football are two completely different worlds. In basketball, playing tight defense is almost considered art. I don't know if you keep track of the NBA, but this year's finals between the Lakers and the Pistons was a gem of a series. The ultimate underdog totally humiliated the most flashy team in the league, by completely shutting their scorers down on the defensive end of the floor. It was magnificent to watch, well worth all the nights of sleep it cost me.

But that doesn't go for football. If you're watching two teams who dont wanna go on the offensive, you might as well go do something else, because it's a complete waste of time watching it any further, it's depressing almost. Overhere, if Ajax wins a match, with let's say 1-0, and they were with their backs against the wall most of the time, you'd expect the fans to be relieved and happy with the result afterwards, right ? Wrong, the fans will boo them every step when they're walking off the pitch after the game. That type of play is simply not appreciated here. Sometimes i have a feeling that we (the Dutch) much rather play good football and lose, than play uglyball and win. That's probably also the reason why we always fall short with the finals in sight, but that's just the way it is.

[ 07-02-2004, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: johnny ]