View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 06:41 PM   #29
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
A PhD! Well only 5 more years of college and you'll Be able to get a job at a burger Joint. LOL
Just kidding But if You can, Find a part time job as an apprentice in what ever field your getting your PhD in. Then when you have completed your PhD you won't have to start at the bottom in the mail room some place trying to prove yourself. So start your climb up the ladder in a some company now ,let them know what your doing and what University your attending.
My son is doing just that right now. He is at the end of his 3rd year and works for the city as the Web Master while working on his PhD in computer developement and electronics Engineering. At age 22 he goes to college 18 hrs a week and works 32 hrs a week and bring in over $40,000.00 a year. By the time he finishes College at the University of Virginia He'll be bringing in over $100,000.00 A year and be the head of the department. "He's already been told this, "by the City office President That's the Job he'll have and the salary He'll have" or He can get a Job some place else with 4 years of experiance already behind him.
Anyway Good Luck to All !
Apprentice?? What are you on about? It's not a PhD in carpentry or construction You never start at the bottom in any mail room - not in my area anyway. I've already worked as a student in the summer at a communications company and started straight away on one of their programming projects - didn't even have a degree. If you do a PhD, you can go on to a post-doc research position or go find a job researching or leading a development group in industry - LOL dunno where you got your mail room idea from - maybe they'll do that to unqualified people, but not graduates and certainly not doctorates.

Sounds like your son has it sorted though, he gets paid $40,000 for being a web master?? That company must have some cash trees in its back garden or something. Anyone who know some ASP or php can make websites - you don't need a degree, let alone a PhD to do that, how come he's getting paid so much? Me no understand... hehe. But sounds like schemes we have here where people do a part-time PhD - although they typically take 5 or 6 years to get it as opposed to 3 - 3.5 years for full-time students. Such is the downside to doing it part-time. I'd rather do it full time and not worry about juggling my time between work and research.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray