View Single Post
Old 04-04-2004, 05:47 AM   #24
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Blatant begging? No man!! just need help Good things don't come cheap, which sucks.. I don't see why we can't figure out a way to get the funds each month from members in some way.. I mean, we have, what, 14,000 members, and 50% are active, so we should be able to find some way to do it... I mean, if you like Ironworks, isn't it worth paying a bit to keep it alive? [img]smile.gif[/img]
I dunno. I just find it weird that the last time we had one of these threads, several prominent Ironworkers and mods came forth with a resounding cry against pop-up ads, and now the browser bar at the top of every page carries a PayPal donation tag.

I love Ironworks, don't get me wrong. I've known dozens of forums, but this is the only one where the webmaster personally posted to find me on one of the boards I frequented (the BG2 board) after my account got eaten. Any other place (well, the Lurker Lounge might) would have forgotten I existed. Not this place. [img]smile.gif[/img] It's worth the extra bucks to keep it alive, and I don't mind giving them when I have them, but we really need some sort of coordinated Ironworker fundraising effort to make sure you and your beautiful Siamese aren't giving us the hungry tuna eyes during bill-paying time.

Quote:
About an online store, it's a cool idea,and besides bumper stickers, I was also gonna do T-Shirts. J.D. Harris still does it I believe! That would be cool, but I would have to see. Bumper Stickers would be awesome--I actually bought some of those 'printer maker' ones, but they get messed up when wet.. are yours the good kind? Mine sucked from the printer. LOL!!! How much would the cost in bulk, say 100? PM me with the goodies!! I'd love to do it!
I tried bumper stickers from my laser printer, and they bled. But get them professionally done, and they're beautiful. Sent you a PM about it. 250 stickers with unlimited color for about $300 isn't a bad price.

I'm wrinkling my nose at t-shirts. The expense doesn't bother me as much as the high customization; most places only let people order one size cheaply in bulk. You'd have to pre-order shirts to make a first order or have enough money to buy at least 100 shirts in four different sizes to get the best price with the most size variety (which means $600-$800 depending on how elaborate you want to get), and I don't know if the average Ironworker would want to pay $20-$30 for a shirt.

Other alternatives include coffee mugs, mouse pads, baseball caps, pens, even posters--things where one size truly fits all. But at the moment, bumper stickers would be the easiest and cheapest to get off the ground. Less than $1 in postage, including cost of the envelope. No special packaging needed. And at $5 a sticker, it's affordable and profitable.

(Become a club treasurer or campus club coordinator, and you too can make sales pitches just like Pirengle! [img]tongue.gif[/img] )