View Single Post
Old 03-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #3
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

It all depends on what Pent II MicroProcessor you have. Many will only allow you to bring RAM up to around 384 MB, if your lucky. Now you can put 1GB of ram in but the Pent II will only use maybe 400 MB of RAM the rest is just not utillized.
You can't put more than A 35 GB Hard drive in them they just were not designed for the bigger faster hard drives. but you can put in two 30 GB hard Drives. I did on one of my older units.

I would suggest go to E-Bay and look for someone selling a Pent III 650 MHz with a 40GB hard drive or better with windows 98se and at least 256 MB of RAM 512 would be better. you can find one for around $250.00 including shipping about the cost to upgrade your Pent II.

Try this first it should speed up the computer a little for free.
1) double click My Computer.
2) double click Control Panel
3) double click the internet options icon.
4) now click the General tab an find the area that says Temporary Internet Files
5) click Delete Cookies then wait for hour glass to turn back into your curser arrow.
6) click Delete Files once wait for curser (pointer) to change back into an arrow again
7) go down to History and press clear History.
Try these 7 steps first and see if they don't speed things up a little.
I'll get back to you later and give you some more help on speeding up your old Pent II.
I have to go back to work for now.

DON'T worry these steps will not hurt any of your dads programs they just clear up RAM space by removing junk collected when visiting different sites on the internet.

[ 03-16-2004, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]