View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 11:26 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I agree with Aelia Jusa. There's probably a lot more going on that might explain things.

What I would try in your situation is to have a little talk with him -- identify what his expectations are, and whether they are realistic or not. For you to clean up your dishes after a meal, for example, is realistic. To take your turn at washing the dishes is also realistic. To be the one and only person who does the dishes is not.

Most likely, there's more involved than dishes, but the principle still holds.

Do they have other kids? At 50 or thereabouts, they could be anywhere from grandparents to empty nesters (kids have left) to parents of elementary school children. There are different expectations in all those environments.

I'd talk with him, establish the ground rules, and then stick to my part of it. And if I find I can't stick to it (for example, cleaning my room every day), I'd come back and renegotiate something else.

If you're there as an exchange student, you should probably also have a contact at the hosting organization. You may want to contact them and get their perspective and input into it. They've probably dealt with things like this before, and can help you work through the whole thing.

I know that it's hard because on one level, you're a guest at someone's house, but on another level, you're there as an exchange student, which borders on being another family member. Guests and family behave differently, and are expected to do things differently. Finding the middle ground is the challenge, but once you get there, life will be good [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.