View Single Post
Old 01-31-2004, 11:10 PM   #34
Nerull
Lord Ao

Smiley

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
Does anyone play (Or has anyone played) Call of C'thulhu? I don't really know anything about it other than your character might go insane from reading things.
Reading things, running into things, seeing things, hearing things, waking up in the morning, etc. (I'm only slightly exaggerating). It is based off of H. P. Lovecraft's works, and the basic premise is this:

The universe is not a benevolent place. Banished away in the farthest reaches are the entities that used to rule all of existance. These alien entities are not only hostile, but they are beyond the (rational) comprehension of the mere mortals who run into them. They seek to return to the world, and your character is one of those who is there trying to stop them. To make it worse, there are those who are trying to aid their return, insane people who worship them. Magic, dimensional science, etc. leads you to contact with these entities, and in Lovecraft's stories, the protagonist usually ends up insane from the forces that they encounter.

Needless to say, a very dark game, with not a huge survival rate for the characters. From what I've seen, some gamemasters have people create more than one character before starting the campaign, that way if (or when) the characters die (or worse) there are other characters to step in.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin