View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 09:15 PM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

I was thinking about this today (I have lots of "thinking free" times at work), and I remember the very first pen and paper role playing game that I ever played. I remember I was 6 or 7, I talked my dad into buying me the Basic Set D&D. And I mean the old Basic Set, the very first edition. I remember I wanted it because I was always interested in fantastic tales, and I just saw it and thought "that looks so neat." I was hooked immediately. I then bought my first module after getting my next allowance (anyone remember Keep on the Borderlands?). It may have been another 2 years before I found a large enough group of friends to play a full party with, but I would make my own party and run them through the module (trying my best not to use my advanced knowledge; they eventually came out with those solo modules for people like me). Of course, once the original AD&D books came out, I switched over to that, but I still look back at that old Basic D&D set with fond memories. I even remember the old Gamma World, Boot Hill, etc.

After remembering that, I just got that sudden urge to find out how some of the other pen and paper role playing game players started out. What was your first game that you played and/or owned? Your first module? Your favorite game and/or module? I am still a huge D&D fan, but also liked Traveller (remember the Trillion Credit Squadron module or the option introduced in Dragon magazine to create alien races?), Gamma World (both of the original versions; I haven't looked at the d20 version yet), and Hero System games (played a Wild Martial Arts campaign that I just loved). Just curious how other people started out.

[ 01-28-2004, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Nerull ]
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin