Thread: Wasted Editions
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 06:20 AM   #1
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I've had something on my mind for awhile and it's really annoying me to a certain point. Yea, this is a rant post, so if you don't want to read it you don't have to, just blowing off some steam.

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] *click*

As most of you know, I am a big fan and an active player of PnP Dungeons and Dragons and I have been for 6 years. I had an absolute blast playing second edition, best modules and the game was simple with monsters that still posed as a challenge. Recently though, things have gotten so complicated to the point where I am ready to throw some of the books out the window.

For the last three years, I have tried as hard as I can to enjoy some decent 3rd edition D&D, just trying to enjoy the game itself but Monte Cook and his crew have completely sucked the fun out of Dungeons and Dragons for me. Three years ago, a new edition comes out, but there is a problem, there are no modules, no adventures coming out. During that time, I thought it to be pretty odd why there weren't, but then I find out.

He made the mistake of telling Wizards of the Coast and Sword and Sorcery Studios he was coming out with another edition (3.5) the same year! So little to no modules were produced, then Dungeon Magazine cuts down their number of modules every month from 5 every two months to 2 every two months. And there's no guarantee that they'll even be in my character's level range, everyone's sending in letters saying how mad they are but they don't seem to care any.

More books are being put out for the newest edition so getting 3rd edition was a complete waste all in itself and still nothing comes out and it's been 5 months since that day. I'll admit, when I first tried out 3rd edition, I thought it was a great way to upgrade D&D, but there is too much crap to memorize. Creating a character goes from being 20 minutes to nearly an hour and converting 2nd edition modules over to third is nearly impossible because it's so time consuming. They left out 3/4 of the monsters out of the handbook that resided in the old ones. Nothing, not the Gith, not the Drow, the majority of the best villians are nowhere to be found.

And he removes some of the best spells or changes them for the worst in the game. Wish is no longer around, Time Stop is worthless because unlike what you can do beforehand, you can no longer even touch your opponent because that could help win a battle. Poisons, poisons cannot kill you, only cause attribute damage?

Curse you Monte Cook and crew!

*click*

Now, I shall burn my 3rd edition books and return to the great fun that was 2nd edition, excuse me

The following was a rant by Marcus Gangrell, this was not made to insult anyone or challenge their opinions, this was only posted to let off some well deserved steam.