View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 11:40 AM   #7
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
Artemis' memory wasn't completly wiped - I think it was Foaly who mentioned that if that were to happen, Arty would loose two years of emotional growth. It was said that all that was removed was the events that had to do with the People. His mind would develope memories to fit in the blank spaces, in time, and so Artemis, Butler, and Julia would still be the same people. Right through, Artemis was still a criminal mastermind - if he didn't have that streak still in him, he would not have thought of the contact lenses, nor of the disc he gave to Mulch Diggims. So in that context, the loss of memory didn't affect him much at all. But, as was mentioned in the book, a full wipe of what has happened in a certain amount of time would lead to a completely different person.
Well, yeah, but he ended up as a better person. He actually felt guilty about bad things and developed a better character. He cared about his mother and father etc. After the wipe his diary entry clearly shows he thinks his father's idea of going legal is nonsense and he would unleash his most ingenious plans yet of making more money...it clearly reveals that he no longer cares about his parents anymore and he's become the old Artemis again.

And I know his memory wasn't completely wiped, I meant it was erased with the parts detailing about the sprites...it was mentioned that there was a slim chance that Artemis would lose the emotional development but they didn't think it was likely...yet it happened. Still an excellent trilogy though.