View Single Post
Old 10-29-2003, 08:34 AM   #18
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
See? See what Bush's disastrous environmental policies are causing?! The third most massive solar flares in recorded science! [img]tongue.gif[/img] (yes, and some nut will probably believe this, too)

Seriously, the motion of the liquid metals in the core of the Earth generate an intense magnetic sphere, which does indeed act like a "shock absorber" for us from such occurances. Burn off the ozone layer? [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] Not likely. Make your cell phone useless for a while? Probably.

GForce, tsumani are normally caused only by earthquakes, landslides (whether into or under the water), volcanic eruptions, or meteoric impact (none of those in recorded history, though).

The fancy-looking graphic is a simple density chart, plotting the number of particles of a given energy (green for >= 100 MeV, etc.) per square centimeter, as time progresses. Interesting how the density fluctuates wildly just before the flare...I must correct myself..."coronal mass ejection". [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

Ziroc, I've meant to ask this before but never have. Are you merely interested in astrophysics, currently studying/have studied the subject, or currently working the the field?
I've taken some classes on it, and keep up with all the latest info.. It's a field I find amazing. [img]smile.gif[/img] --confusing sometimes, but amazing.. Actually the science that is in my sci-fi comic 'intruders on earth' has a LOT of real science facts in it, which I find give the story more realism--even though it's sci-fi related.

To others: a CmE, if powerful enough, could cook the Earths Atmosphere, but it would have to be a LOT stronger than even this hit. The most that will happen is we will get a lot of high-band radio outages (Ham Radio will be crazy) And the Northern Lights may be seen as far south in the next few days as Oklahoma. In 2000, We had some CmE's that brought the Northern Lights seen as far south as Puerto Rico. THAT is amazing.

Most Orbiting satellites have what is called a 'lockdown mode' and they move them to a safe area (on the other side of the planet if need be) or turn to shield it's systems from the brunt of the storm.