View Single Post
Old 10-29-2003, 12:29 AM   #17
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

See? See what Bush's disastrous environmental policies are causing?! The third most massive solar flares in recorded science! [img]tongue.gif[/img] (yes, and some nut will probably believe this, too)

Seriously, the motion of the liquid metals in the core of the Earth generate an intense magnetic sphere, which does indeed act like a "shock absorber" for us from such occurances. Burn off the ozone layer? [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] Not likely. Make your cell phone useless for a while? Probably.

GForce, tsumani are normally caused only by earthquakes, landslides (whether into or under the water), volcanic eruptions, or meteoric impact (none of those in recorded history, though).

The fancy-looking graphic is a simple density chart, plotting the number of particles of a given energy (green for >= 100 MeV, etc.) per square centimeter, as time progresses. Interesting how the density fluctuates wildly just before the flare...I must correct myself..."coronal mass ejection". [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

Ziroc, I've meant to ask this before but never have. Are you merely interested in astrophysics, currently studying/have studied the subject, or currently working the the field?

[ 10-29-2003, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.