View Single Post
Old 09-12-2003, 01:17 PM   #105
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
But what do you register? Just a number? What prevents someone else from just using the same number? User ID and password? I gave that to my friend as well. Register to a specific machine through CPU ID? What happens in an upgrade? Track by TCP/IP address? We use DHCP, so there's a range.

I don't believe there's a simple and easy way to ensure compliance with today's technology. You can get back to using hardware dongles that can't easily be copied, but that's incredibly expensive compared to the street value of a CD, for example. And if you needed a dongle for every CD... imagine the hassle of trying to keep track of them.

I think it's a good idea in theory, but I don't see where the practice holds out.
This is in't a theory, it's a proven practice. Just take a look at Bioware's forum, you can't post for a game forum if you didn't register your serial, and then once you register it, that serial won't be accepted anymore by the website.

Same things for Maxis and the SIMS. You can register your serial on their website to visit the forums and get goodies, and once you register a serial, nobody else can register it.

And yes, when you register your serial you also get to chose a login and password. The serial is then associated with your account and no one else can use it.