View Single Post
Old 09-10-2003, 12:14 AM   #22
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
Think of this though, as far as this belief goes weither it seperates us from the animals or not, ponder on this. A scientist believes in the theory of evolution, yet the same scientist is convinced that only men contain souls, an energy field that surrounds a foot outside the human body. But tell me this, apes are also animals, but if they are able to contain souls why not every other animal? Simply becaused we had the basis of evolution? This would mean that given a chance, any species could evolve and obtain an intelligence, so does this mean that only to have a soul you have to be aware that you're alive?
I'm not sure which 'scientist' you're talking about, nor am I sure about what 'we' having the basis of evolution refers to either, but i do believe you are absolutely correct on your hypothesis that any organism can evolve an 'intelligence'. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Think of life, all life, every tree, mushroom, bactrium, fish and human as a giant ball of malleable putty. This putty morphs and shifts to fit the mold that it is placed into, terraforming it's features to suit the environment. This happens over billions of years, a concept that many single-generation thinking organisms such as homo sapiens find hard to accept and comprehend. There is no end to this process, not until all life is extinguished and reproductive reformation ceases. Nor is it easy (or perhaps even possible) to pinpoint a beginning to it.

Additionally, on the surface it would seem that here is no real 'point' to this process, but that may indeed be an illusion, as indeed may be life itself. One thing that I have convinced myself is that separating life into segregated subsets of 'beings' is a huge mistake, as the phenomena of life is itself one gigantic cyclic organism, feeding off anf nurturing itself as it sucks up it's universe's nutrients like a sponge.

Also, in my/our not-so-humble opinion restricting the process of thought and question in order to fit a social programme of acceptable behaviour is utterly foolish, and a method of self-slavery, as it is this questioning that sets the consciousness on the path of unravelling the fabric of the garment that is existence itself. Self-destruction is the only path to enlightenment, at least in our eyes.

[ 09-10-2003, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]