View Single Post
Old 07-21-2003, 06:28 AM   #14
B_part
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
I still have memories *nightmares* about the first time I rode through Milan on a motorbike [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] It was a traumatic experience. Sitting at a red light while the cars behind where tooting me to go through. Aggressive lane swapping and many near death experiences

The second time was better because I worked out if you drive aggressively it becomes safer!!! You blend in and it all makes sense.
It's not htat bad. You get used to that eventually. The secret is never being slow. If you crawl around at 45 or 50 km/h(speed limit for scooters/other vehicles) every car/motorbike/truck will overcome you. This is dangerous for two reasons: first when they go by, they never care to leave enough room for you to pass as well; secondly, cars will most assuredly move sideways whenever they need to brake, sandwiching you in between because they don't notice you. in other words, a slow motorbike is like meat in the meatgrinder.
If you go faster (say 60 / 70 per hour) you can overcome everybody and have a free road before you, being able to respond best to anything happening. Also, those coming from behind will notice you and avoid you.
Faster is safer, in this case at least.