View Single Post
Old 07-08-2003, 01:11 AM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:

Sorry, I know diddly squat about swords, but alot about RPG's, 2e D&D in particular. The way martial combat is portrayed in a RPG can be open to interpretations. For example when I DM PnP only the last 10% of hit point damage is counted as actual lethal wounds, barring critical hits. The other 90% of "damage" represents fatigue, stress, armor blows and glancing shots that wittle an opponent down. This allows alot of room for descriptive flavor when describing the scenario rather than "swing, hit, damage, repeat"
That's a really interesting way of looking at it! I never considered it like that before, I suppose because in RPGs like say BG or something you get the whole blood spurt with hits so obviously there's cutting going on there, which I always thought was pretty unrealistic, especially when they're still coming at you the same. Do you have it so that if you're a certain amount 'damaged' (ie fatigued etc) you fight worse? Because I also always thought it was pretty stupid that someone with 2 hps left fought as strongly as someone with 60hp. Perhaps when you get really low you get a second wind, out of desperation! No one ever seems to get their arm cut off either, or their weapons or shield knocked out of their hands.