View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003, 09:39 AM   #25
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Boric acid (liquid form) has worked best for me. When we first bought our house, we would have an annual invasion of ants as soon as warm weather hit. I placed a drop or two of boric acid on a small piece of cardboard and set these homemade traps out in several locations throughout the house (under cabinets, behind appliances, etc). It is very effective, but also very toxic. I always wear a pair of rubber gloves when handling it and we keep it sealed in a little plastic bag when it isn't being used.

I wouldn't recommend it if you have small children and I absolutely would not recommend it if you have indoor pets of your own. It's like anti-freeze, it smells sweet, but will be fatal if they lick it.

After about 3 years, I think we finally killed off the queen and the entire nest...I haven't seen ANY ants in the last 2-3 years..and they use to almost swarm through the house.

You don't have to put the bait inside the wall..they came out for the fries, they will come out for the bait too. Just put it in several locations (especially the kitchen, but not near food). Just because you haven't seen them there yet doesn't mean they aren't visiting.

Never heard of trying cinammon or baking soda, but that would definitely be a safer alternative if you have kids or pets that you don't want bothering the stuff.

If all else fails, call an exterminator. Don't know what the prices would be in your area, but I had them do a "general purpose" extermination on my house 2 years ago and it only cost $70.

Good luck, Whackmeister! May the ants fall like wheat before your onslaught. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]