View Single Post
Old 06-19-2003, 02:57 PM   #12
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I can appreciate the idea, but neither case presented in the links is logically sound. The first refers to obesity as the cause of videos, junk food, and commercials (read it; it's there); I suspect they really mean the contrary, that those things cause obesity.

And the second says that with the added VAT, companies will gain an incentive to use better quality foodstuffs. Sorry, but the VAT does not affect the companies; it affects the consumer. The added tax is passed on to the consumer, based on the price that is charged.

But where it really fell apart for me is when the bureaucrazies decided that they'd use this tax money to fund an institution for the treatment of obesity (or whatever they called it). Puh-lease! Take taxes away to create more government bureaucracy? I don't think so, Tim.

The idea of a fat tax is nice, but it assumes the world is simple and such a tax will have a beneficial effect. What it's really saying, though, is if you can't conrol your own life, you'll pay me to pretend to do something about it. And you should, because I'm better than you. I know all, see all...

Grrrrr..... deep breaths. Silly politicians. Cold Mountain Dew. Better...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.