Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Too much gaming? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94027)

Bungleau 08-09-2005 09:36 PM

Just saw this online...

Quote:

Tue Aug 9, 1:21 PM ET

SEOUL (Reuters) - A South Korean man who played computer games for 50 hours almost non-stop died of heart failure minutes after finishing his mammoth session in an Internet cafe, authorities said Tuesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The 28-year-old man, identified only by his family name Lee, had been playing on-line battle simulation games at the cybercafe in the southeastern city of Taegu, police said.

Lee had planted himself in front of a computer monitor to play on-line games on Aug. 3. He only left the spot over the next three days to go to the toilet and take brief naps on a makeshift bed, they said.

"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official said by telephone.

Lee had recently quit his job to spend more time playing games, the daily JoongAng Ilbo reported after interviewing former work colleagues and staff at the Internet cafe.

After he failed to return home, Lee's mother asked his former colleagues to find him. When they reached the cafe, Lee said he would finish the game and then go home, the paper reported.

He died a few minutes later, it said.

South Korea, one of the most wired countries in the world, has a large and highly developed game industry.

Okay... giving up his job to play games? I think we have an answer to when you should stop playing....

'Course, the burning question all gamers want to know... what game was he playing that had him so addicted, and can I get some of that? :D

johnny 08-09-2005 09:42 PM

Sheesh...what a wussy. :D

Gangrell 08-09-2005 09:44 PM

Oh s**t, you can die from that?

Wow, I've been lucky then :D

Jorath Calar 08-09-2005 09:59 PM

puh... 50 hours, thats sad...

Felix The Assassin 08-09-2005 10:03 PM

50 hours? What a freaking wuss. What would he have done in a real situation?

Again, there is a difference between reality, and everything else. I can still go 96hrs and I've been retired for 6 months, sheez, what is this world coming to?

FYI: I'm a retired soldier, 72hrs is the minimum and 96hrs is the goal for endurance operations without rest. DO NOT TRY THIS ALONE, OR AT HOME!

Firestormalpha 08-09-2005 10:26 PM

Hmmm... brings to mind a gaming tip I read while playing BG2. It appears in the loading screen. Simply it states that while your characters do not need to eat drink or sleep, you do. :D I think perhaps that he forgot to nourish himself and thus had no energy to go on.

Ladyzekke 08-09-2005 10:36 PM

LOL, yeah really, I want to know what game it was! And what level did he get to? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Bozos of Bones 08-10-2005 05:01 AM

Well, my personal best to this day wa some 35 or so hours of non stop(bathroom and eating breaks included) when I first got Internet. I played StarCraft fanatically... And I'm still here! No leg clogs, no heart attacks and no chronic headaches... I'm invincible!

Dragonshadow 08-10-2005 05:34 AM

I can only go about 5 or 6 hours before I have a mega headache and start to hallucinate.

Bithron 08-10-2005 08:06 AM

Longest I've played was 12 hours then mom said that I should go to bed.... [img]smile.gif[/img]