Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Sites now requiring the security code from your credit card (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92413)

Nerull 12-03-2004 07:45 AM

Has anyone else run into this yet? I just went to Virgin Mobile to set up automatic payments from my credit card, and they actually require you to put the 3 digit security code from your credit card. Then, I go to Best Buy's website and try to place an order, and they do the same thing! I thought that you are never supposed to give out that code, and no one has any business asking for it. Yet here are two sites that are doing just that, and not allowing you to continue with the transaction unless you give it to them. I cancelled out of both. Has anyone else seen this? Is this becoming a trend? If so, it is a real nasty one, because once you give them that code they essentially have your card.

Mercc 12-03-2004 07:48 AM

Actually they have your card with the just the number. I believe thay ask for that to prove you actually have the card and are the owner.

Mercc

Larry_OHF 12-03-2004 09:19 AM

<font color=skyblue>I have had to give my code, but as Mercc said, I thought it was to prove that I am the card owner...and that I did not just steal the number off of a receipt or something. </font>

Lady Sedai 12-03-2004 09:30 AM

Which still proves nothing because if someone steals my card and tries to use it online, *they* now have those three digits.

Not sure what the point of those extra three numbers were, personally. *shrugs*

Cloudbringer 12-03-2004 10:52 AM

Many places have been doing this for ages. I've got a few merchants I deal with that routinely require that number either online or on the phone because it shows you have the card in your possession and didn't just get the credit card numbers off a receipt or read them over someone's shoulder.

As to whether that helps if you lose the card...well hopefully you will note it's missing and cancel it,but if not, most sites also verify billing address/shipping addresses, which aren't on the card.

[ 12-03-2004, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]

Arledrian 12-03-2004 04:57 PM

I don't think I've ever bought anything at a site without them asking for that three-digit security code. It's a very standard thing Nerull, but it's not like you have anything to worry about when you buy from sites like Virgin and Best Buy. Just watch out when you shop at less well-known places online.

Seraph 12-03-2004 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lady Sedai:
Which still proves nothing because if someone steals my card and tries to use it online, *they* now have those three digits.

Not sure what the point of those extra three numbers were, personally. *shrugs*

The point of those three numbers is that they do not appear raised on the front of the card, so if someone managed to just get a look at the front of your card (say by getting the carbon paper from a carbon copy that your CC was pressed into) they still wouldn't have your creditcard number. It makes it very difficult to say that you have a card unless you really have it.

Vaskez 12-03-2004 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Arledrian:
I don't think I've ever bought anything at a site without them asking for that three-digit security code. It's a very standard thing Nerull, but it's not like you have anything to worry about when you buy from sites like Virgin and Best Buy. Just watch out when you shop at less well-known places online.
I was just about to say this. I've never bought anything online without having to enter the 3 digit code on the back either (and I've bought a lot of things online)! I was reading the first few posts and was like "what planet are they living on??"

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 12-03-2004 08:36 PM

The main reason for this is because (hope nobody posted it yet) you can't be seen when ordering online. So, if you found or stole a credit card receipt from someone you're shopping! I used to work for HPShopping.com and that card told us the person had the card in hand. It's much easier to know you lost your card than misplaced, lost etc a receipt!

Nerull 12-03-2004 09:35 PM

I generally do not do much shopping online (rarely, in fact), so this is the first time I've seen this (in fact, I went a year ago to the Best Buy site and did not have to enter that code). I don't like the idea of giving out that much information, but I guess I'll go ahead and place the order. I already knew the why behind it (checking to see if I had the card in front of me).

I pretty much steer away from "lesser known" websites, anyway, so no worries there... ;)