Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   A literary question (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91450)

Donut 08-30-2004 09:30 AM

Can anyone help me with this quiz question.

I'm looking for the name of "A petted creature who is tormented by a dwarf during a meal"

All help appreciated.

Dron_Cah 08-30-2004 05:23 PM

No clue, man. a dog? :confused:

Bungleau 08-30-2004 09:46 PM

How about some more context of this here quiz? I don't even know where to start... besides a Google search for the phrase.

*edit* Nope, no luck on a Google search.

[ 08-30-2004, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]

Donut 08-31-2004 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bungleau:
How about some more context of this here quiz? I don't even know where to start... besides a Google search for the phrase.

*edit* Nope, no luck on a Google search.

You have as much information as I have. It's a "literary quiz" and the section in question is called "Pets".

I tried google but the clue is probably cryptic. The term "petted" must be a clue because it looks out of place. Normally you would say "which pet.." rather than "which petted creature....."

I'm hoping someone has read the book and can remember this.

Legolas 08-31-2004 09:19 AM

Dwarf during a meal has me thinking of half-pint, peanut and shrimp if we're going cryptical, but other than that...

Jaradu 08-31-2004 09:35 AM

You can get Dwarf Hamsters... does that have anything to do with it? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Hivetyrant 08-31-2004 09:39 AM

Yes, but you can pet a creature, such as a Dwarf hamster.

Bungleau 08-31-2004 09:40 AM

How about examples of other questions that you've already answered? That may help to set the right frame of mind.

Melusine 08-31-2004 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jaradu:
You can get Dwarf Hamsters... does that have anything to do with it? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
No, it doesn't... you should not take it literally. The phrase Donut posted is simply a cryptic description of a literary character or at least something literary. ;)

I've been pondering for some time Donut, but I cannot think of the answer. You've probably tried writing down all synonyms for the nouns and seeing if you could combine those into a name or something, right?

Bungleau, if I'm not mistaken it's a cryptic description of the kind we saw a while back in the Music Group guessing threads.
One of mine back then was "Brand-new chopped wood in a body of water" which stood for Just-in Timber-lake. Or "Half a whale" which stood for Moby (-Dick). I'm assuming this description is similar.

[ 08-31-2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]

Donut 08-31-2004 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
Yes, but you can pet a creature, such as a Dwarf hamster.
This is a "petted creature", I'm surmising that it isn't actually an animal as such. (Although it very well might be) The point is that the dwarf and the creature are not the same entity.