Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   An elaborate scam? Beware... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90193)

Leonis 05-28-2004 12:31 AM

I got this email recently - The XXXX's were my real name and an actual (former) address. Pay your 'release' fee, never hear from them again... It's a worry they had my real details...

<font color="green">AVOID FORFEITURE! CLAIM YOUR PARCEL BEFORE THE EXPIRATION DATE

CONSIGNEE & DESTINATION:
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

TO THE CLAIMANT/CONSIGNEE:
EXPIRATION DATE June 30, 2004

HELD FOR XXXXXX XXXXXX
PARCEL INSURED VALUE UP TO USD $2,741.88
CARTAGE / SHIPPING PAID BY

You have been pre-assigned a parcel containing a SONY 61" PROJECTION TV or a bank cheque for USD $2,741.88 made payable to you, or other merchandise item (confirmed; see inventory document, below).
THIS IS NOT A PRIZE DRAW. Your pre-assigned merchandise item is part of an international marketing campaign to promote certain consumer products. You are guaranteed to receive one of the merchandise items listed below, subject to all terms and conditions posted herein.
IMPORTANT: Your parcel is UNCLAIMED and stored in our warehouse facility. If you do not claim it within 40 days, you will forfeit the contents.
To release your parcel for delivery to your home address, you must complete the Warehouse Release & Shipping Request by clicking the link to Submit your request to International Merchandise Awards Center. All shipping and tariff charges will be paid by the sponsor. But you must remit a Release Fee of USD $31.95, payable by credit card.
Include this USD $31.95 fee with your completed Warehouse Release & Shipping Request.
</font>

Bungleau 05-28-2004 12:58 AM

Scam. If it were not asking you to send money, it would have a chance to be a legitimate sales tool. Not that it would be, but it would have a chance. You will not win the TV or the cheque, but the "other inventory" listed below.

The bit about your name is just public information. No big deal.

Stay away. Stay far away.

Firestormalpha 05-28-2004 01:05 AM

Definately, do as Bungle says. (errr... in this case at any rate [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) If you were to fall for it you'd be out by far more than just $31.95 . They'd pull your accounts for everything they are worth.

Mack_Attack 05-28-2004 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
They'd pull your accounts for everything they are worth.
So it would $32.95. :D

Lady Sedai 05-28-2004 04:43 PM

I'd also look into reporting it to Customs, etc. as they might be interested to know someone is pulling this scam using their organization as a front.