Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Help!!!! Cd/Rom problems (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89352)

pritchke 02-16-2004 11:22 AM

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">OK, I was playing Fallout Tactics and I think I am almost through the game and my computer stops reading my CD/rom drive. The light still goes on and it spins but I get message Please insert a Fallout Tactics CD. I can't get anything from any other CD either.

I have had my computer 6 years so I think it just needs a cleaning as I have never cleaned my CD/Rom. I am thinking of buying a new CD/Rom with read write capability as I currently have only read.

What do you guys think the problem is? Should I buy some stuff for cleaning before purchasing a new CD/Rom drive to ensure that that is what the problem is. As for removal I think I insert a pin into that little hole in the front and it pops out. Is it that easy? I prefer to be sure before I start poking pins in unknown holes.</font>

[ 02-16-2004, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]

Ilander 02-16-2004 11:40 AM

Hey, I've got the same problem with a read/write drive that I purchased about a year ago...hmmm...I hope it's as easy as that to fix! Otherwise, Baldur's Gate and Morrowind won't be playable...What OS do you have, pritchke?

pritchke 02-16-2004 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ilander:
Hey, I've got the same problem with a read/write drive that I purchased about a year ago...hmmm...I hope it's as easy as that to fix! Otherwise, Baldur's Gate and Morrowind won't be playable...What OS do you have, pritchke?
<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">I am still using Windows 98</font>

Ilander 02-16-2004 11:48 AM

hmm...I'm using ME, so it's probably not an OS problem...hmm. Have you tried refreshing your drive? That's the only other thing that I've done, and it seemed to help for about a week, and then it was useless...I really don't think that's the problem, though... The drives probably do just need cleaning...I think we should wait for soemone who knows what they're doing, though!

[ 02-16-2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Ilander ]

Felix The Assassin 02-16-2004 11:58 AM

Just for grins make sure the CD in question and the other CD are not alike. IE.. data to data. try a music cd. And make sure there are no serious marks on the CD data surface.
Have you done a complete shutdown, switched power off for 1 full minute, then powered back up?
Did it work?
No? Then yes try a CD drive cleaner following the directions to the T. Remeber a CD drive is a laser emitting optical drive, with a precise tolerance, so don't go throwing the thing about.
Working? It should. if not, then restart and go into BIOS and do a auto check for drives, if this drive shows up in BIOS, then you have a OS problem. Possibly need to have windows re-install that drive.
If does not show in BIOS, then you could have a power to the drive problem, a data cable problem, a MB problem, etc. If you are not a tweaker, make sure you ground yourself prior to touching anything inside the case. Static discharge will drop a component faster than a 3 ft fall.

pritchke 02-21-2004 08:24 PM

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">Yah! I took part of my computer and CDRom apart today. There were tumble weeds growing inside there. After a severe cleaning my CDRom is finally working again. It also means that if I decide to do some upgrades I will be able to manage the installation myself. One important thing to note is when and if you decide to take apart your computer note carefully were everything is attached as most of the connections are labeled. Also make note of those that are not connected there was one plug that after putting everything together was not connected to anything and I was like opps I must have forgot something. After looking around I could not find were it would go. It was a split connection with the other plug connected to the A drive. I am thinking it was to connect another drive underneath the CDRom since there was a ton of space there. Enough to place another CDRom drive. My cleaning disc now works as well so once a weak I will be giving the eye a cleaning. Worst part of the whole thing was reconnecting the start button. They should really have made that wire a little longer.</font>

[ 02-21-2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]