Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Dungeons & Dragons... Satans Game... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88825)

Dreamer128 12-22-2003 08:56 AM

Oh no! I would appear I'm a Satanic Suicidal Necromanctic Demon Summoner, who passes his time with Gambling, Cannibalism and Torturing young virgins. Damn you, Black Isle! I must abbandon my sinful ways :D

Seriously though, don't these people have anything better to do?

"After extensive research, the Christian Life Ministries concludes: "DUNGEONS & DRAGONS™ instead of a game is a teaching on demonology, witchcraft, voodoo, murder, rape, blasphemy, suicide, assassination, insanity, sex perversion, homosexuality, prostitution, Satan worship, gambling, Jungian psychology, barbarism, cannibalism, sadism, desecration, demon summoning. necromantics, divination and many more teachings, brought to you in living color direct from the pit of hell!!!"

The full article:
http://www.espministries.com/topic_dungeons.htm

Or watch:
http://cybermoonstudios.com/8bitDandD.html

[ 12-22-2003, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]

wellard 12-22-2003 09:07 AM

Mmmmmmm Do I pick up a bible and repent so i can become as *fun* as these guys or spend my life in hell .... I'll just go and play some more BG2 while i decide [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Cerek the Barbaric 12-22-2003 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wellard:
Mmmmmmm Do I pick up a bible and repent so i can become as *fun* as these guys or spend my life in hell .... I'll just go and play some more BG2 while i decide [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
<font color=deepskyblue>Now, now, <font color=white>Wellard</font>...I happen to be one of "those guys" too (Born-Again Christian, that is). I faced a lot of the same un-informed criticisms back in my PnP days. My mom was never really happy with me taking up AD&D, but she allowed me to do it anyway.

When I first started going to the church I'm now a member of, the first night there, one of the deacon's wives got up and gave a talk about the "Evils of Dungeons & Dragons". After the service, I went up to her and said "Exactly where do you get your information about the game?"
"Oh, I don't really know that much about it myself. My husband is the one that did the research on the game."
"Really? Where is your husband? I would like to talk to him also."

Turns out, he knew about the same amount as she did - which was not much.

As a Christian, I will concede there are certain aspects of the game that I dislike or disagree with. While it does not arbitrarily lead to practicing the occult, witchcraft, etc. it does at least introduce the players to the basic terminology and concepts, which might foster an increased curiosity in those concepts and practices. However, it is always up to the individual to make that decision for themselves...and if they are inclined to explore the occult, chances are they would do it anyway - whether they played the game or not.

Still, that is a very small concern overall. My various gaming groups always had a good mixture of personalities and none of them ever decided to become a witch or warlock simply because they played one in the game.

The only thing one can do when confronted with ignorance on a scale exhibited byt the Christian Life Ministries in this instance is shake your head and try to give them a more informed POV.

We once invited the mom of a boy that gamed with us to come watch the game because she had these very same concerns. After sitting and watching us roll dice for 3 hours, she said "That's IT?? That's all you do in this game?" After that, she didn't have any more problem with the game.</font>

Tyrion 12-22-2003 09:38 AM

are they just jelous because d&d is more interesting that the bible?

it feels good to be bad, moahahahahahah!

johnny 12-22-2003 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tyrion:
are they just jelous because d&d is more interesting that the bible?

it feels good to be bad, moahahahahahah!

You must have played Dungeonkeeper 2, haven't you ? :D

wellard 12-22-2003 09:59 AM

Sorry Cerek the Barbaric!!

While I will be careful not to get into a religious debate due to the currant embargo, my viewpoint is there are two types of Christian religions out there. One is full of warmth love and tolerance; the other is full of misery hate doom and repression. My flippant comments are well and truly aimed at the latter. An embracing and understanding attitude is more likely to appeal and entice the many D&D fans out there. The other types diatribe deserves all the contempt due.

I like your questioning of the people [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] Ignorance exposed is always a happy moment [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

No harm intended or desired to those of a true Christian nature.

Please note all people. There is currently a cool off ban on religious discussions on IW. Lets respect that ok! I should have thought about that before posting. I am happy however to discuss the matter of religion v fantasy in PM or by email.

Bungleau 12-22-2003 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
After sitting and watching us roll dice for 3 hours, she said "That's IT?? That's all you do in this game?" After that, she didn't have any more problem with the game.</font>
No, honestly... it's more exciting than that! Really! :D I mean, sometimes we move little figurines too!

Reminds me of all the uproar out here regarding Harry Potter books... decried by people who'd never even read a page. You can't be against it if you don't know what it is, people...

Larry_OHF 12-22-2003 10:37 AM

Quote:

Please note all people. There is currently a cool off ban on religious discussions on IW. Lets respect that ok! I should have thought about that before posting. I am happy however to discuss the matter of religion v fantasy in PM or by email.
<font color=skyblue>Thanks Wellard! By the way,,,this is a cool topic, as we need to educate one another on how to handle the pressure when people that do not like D&D confront us. We have alot that can be learned on here!

As long as noboby tries to make this an "Us versus Them" topic that will surely offend somebody...the thread can remain active.</font>

MoldyOldie 12-22-2003 11:23 AM

Why are you bringing up something from the late 70's and early 80's that is long since a non issue with anyone but the extreme fringe?

Dreamer128 12-22-2003 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MoldyOldie:
Why are you bringing up something from the late 70's and early 80's that is long since a non issue with anyone but the extreme fringe?
Because its funny [img]tongue.gif[/img]