Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Are penaltyes fair? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87876)

Xen 09-25-2003 02:56 PM

Are they? I think they are not. Last year in Champions League they were penaltyes IIRC. Anyway they are not fair. It is really a lottery...

What do you think?

TX_Chris 09-25-2003 02:59 PM

penalties are just a quick way to decide who is the winner of a tied match, i don't agree with them mainly because after all the hard work of scoring and defending to lose to a penalty kick really isn't that fair, one mistake and all your hard work is out the window.
Then again i don't know much about football but this is based on the little that i do know

Sigmar 09-25-2003 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Xen:
Are they? I think they are not. Last year in Champions League they were penaltyes IIRC. Anyway they are not fair. It is really a lottery...

What do you think?

Personally it's my favourite part of a football match, I believe that it is not only fair but extremely exiting and on the whole nerve wracking!

Especially in world cup matches.

Jorath Calar 09-25-2003 03:22 PM

I think footbal should just be penalties... no more 22 idiots running around for 90 minutes... much shorter games... I might actually become a football fan... [img]smile.gif[/img]

TX_Chris 09-25-2003 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
I think footbal should just be penalties... no more 22 idiots running around for 90 minutes... much shorter games... I might actually become a football fan... [img]smile.gif[/img]
yeah but it gets rid of the whole point of playing a freakin' 1hr match, personally i agree penalties are pretty exciting, especially Worl Cup ones but that doesn't make it fair

Zuvio 09-25-2003 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
<font color=lightgreen>
WOOHOO! My words exactly Jorath! :D
</font>

WillowIX 09-25-2003 03:30 PM

Sure they're fair. I mean it seems it's almost impossible to score on them. Don't have any figures but I suppose only about 30% of penalties are scored upon.

Bungleau 09-25-2003 04:01 PM

I think they're fair. After all that playing, where you've proven the teams are evenly matched, you get down to some one-on-one skill efforts. Who wins... the goalie, or the shooter? Who outguesses who first?

Don't know if it's still the same as when I played, but that was why you played best of five initially, and then went to individual shots. Match up player to player and see who stands tallest.

Kakero 09-25-2003 05:59 PM

I think it's fair, it's the only thing which can decide the winner of a stalemate game. besides, it's bring suspense when penalties happen. ;)

johnny 09-25-2003 07:51 PM

From a Dutch point of view... no, it's not fair. :rolleyes: :D