Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Who can solve this problem? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87606)

Vaskez 09-06-2003 03:02 PM

If you've seen it before, keep quiet. Otherwise let's see who's quick to solve it. Send me the answer in a PM and I'll tell you if you're right so as not to spoil it for others until say, a day or two has passed. So here is the problem:

A maths teacher is invited round for dinner to a friend's house. The friend has 3 young children that the teacher hasn't met yet. The maths teacher asks his friend how old the kids are. His friend answers: "You're a maths teacher, I'll give you a clue, work it out! The clue is that the product of their ages is 36."
The teacher thinks for a bit and then asks for another clue. "Ok 2nd clue is that the sum of their ages is the same as our house number." The maths teacher goes outside looks at the house number, comes back in and says: "Ok but I still need another clue." "3rd clue: the oldest one plays the violin." The maths teacher then says: "Ah ok, now I know their ages."

The question is, what are the ages of the 3 children?
My cousin gave me this question. It's a bit tricky but sit down with a bit of paper and have a go and you should be able to do it too [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-07-2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]

Jorath Calar 09-06-2003 03:08 PM

Eh... don't we need to have the house number like the teacher..?. not fair he gets to see the number and we don't... [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Vaskez 09-06-2003 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
Eh... don't we need to have the house number like the teacher..?. not fair he gets to see the number and we don't... [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Hehe, no you don't need it but you do need the information that he still didn't get the answer after knowing the house number. :D

BTW.....looking forward to becoming the half-orc Jorath? :D

[ 09-06-2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]

Zuvio 09-06-2003 03:30 PM

God, I suck at math. I have absolutely NO idea what that violin is doing in this riddle.

Zero Alpha 09-06-2003 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zuvio:
God, I suck at math. I have absolutely NO idea what that violin is doing in this riddle.
say you had 2 * 3 * 6 = 36. i doubt a 6 year old is going to play a violin :D

True_Moose 09-06-2003 03:33 PM

<font color="orange">Would I be correct in assuming no two have the same ages?</font>

Grojlach 09-06-2003 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Zuvio:

say you had 2 * 3 * 6 = 36. i doubt a 6 year old is going to play a violin :D </font>[/QUOTE]Actually, it's a hint to tell you that there is in fact only one "oldest" child among the three.
Figured it out within two minutes, btw (anyone using a simple piece of paper should be able to, I suppose). Can't be bothered to PM the answer, though. ;)

Seraph 09-06-2003 03:53 PM

Quote:

Would I be correct in assuming no two have the same ages?
Why would you be able to assume something like this? There is nothing about it in the problem, and its possible for two children to have the same age.

Grojlach 09-06-2003 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by True_Moose:
<font color="orange">Would I be correct in assuming no two have the same ages?</font>
I don't think there's any reason to make such a radical assumption - the third hint should enlighten you a bit on this matter, though (also see previous post).

Vaskez 09-06-2003 03:57 PM

Ah Grojlach, always the smartass :D But you are right about the 3rd clue. I took longer than 2 minutes to figure it out :( but I did eventually [img]smile.gif[/img]
However I am not sure if I am to believe that Groj is correct unless he does PM the answer ;)

[ 09-06-2003, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]