Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   So the US is promoting freedom... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85206)

Suzaku 04-15-2003 01:52 PM

To the residence of the "Free World"............

[And if you are against the Bush Dictatorship, please ignore this and chip in your own thoughts.]

The United States of America , the supposed beacon of hope to the opressed people of the world, now is the global terrorist, dictating regime changes with rather one-sided analyses of other sovereign nations. War is not the first and foremost tactic to foster international cooperation, simply increases tensions. The US announced that it would be protecting its own security by attacking another nation; this was internationally recognized and mostly approved when they attacked Afganistan. Now in the war on Iraq there is no legitimacy (I know this topic has been likely beaten to death already, so the next is coming), and the US is acting on an argument that says paranoia allows extraordinary measures be taken at any time; if the US thinks it's under attack, or in this case mere suspicion (remember the Axis of Evil quoted by Bush, Iraq, and Iran since it sounds similar, and North Korea for being uncooperative with the US). Why did the US exceed China in the number of civilians murdered annually in just two months? The Iraqi people are human, as the army is beginning to recognize now that the initial fighting seems to be over, and likely not to have been published is the fact that Iraqi hospitals are overflowing and do not have the capabilities to treat the enormous number of civilians injured in the recent attack on Baghdad. International reporters were killed, even flying their respective flags, some cases reporting being attacked by US attack helicopters in plain sight...The focus of this thread is not the war itself, but what the US wants to achieve from this, and if anything was achieved at all.

The US is now attempting to shift to some form of a democracy in Iraq; it will most likely fail; Arab nations and people are used to some form of dictatorship, traditionally monarchial. If several centuries of culture is to be changed at whim's notice, it will probably not settle in well. Already conflicts that were postponed only by Saddam Hussein are erupting.

Article

Now that the immediate problem has been supposedly solved in Iraq, where will the US turn to wage war on next? Syria has already been named for assisting in terrorist acts with Hussein, and more may follow. Can the US simply go on threatening free countries like this, all in the name of promoting global freedom? Most likely only a one-sided US freedom, which will eventually lead to more nations viewing the US with hatred, actually threatening security more; the Sivet Union learned this lesson once, although it took over 60 years to absolve. Now the US has become the new Empire on earth, and will crumble like all the other Empires that time has proven will fail.

Now that I've said all that, let me guess I'm going to be hated quite a bit; go ahead and argue against this, actually, please do. I need some arguments to support a counterthesis for an upcoming paper.

EDIT: Now that the US has acted unilaterally, it is going to be more difficult for it to say no to any other acts other countries may take in any potential acts in the future, in the name of increasing national security. No win situation created IMO.

[ 04-15-2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Suzaku ]

MagiK 04-15-2003 01:58 PM

<font color="#ffccff">Please define "Bush Dictatorship" since he is quite clearly not a dictator nor is the USA a dictatorship and is quite demonstrably a Democratic Republic, which follows a Capitalistic agenda.

Edit: You should also post the source and give credit where credit is due for articles copied from other sources...otherwise you are open to accusations of plagerism.

Edit to the Edit: I am assuming that this represents your views since you gave no oped text to indicate otherwise.</font>

[ 04-15-2003, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Timber Loftis 04-15-2003 02:14 PM

Quote:

Why did the US exceed China in the number of civilians murdered annually in just two months?
Comparing the US during war to China during peace tells me much more about China than anything it purports to tell me about the US. ;)

MagiK 04-15-2003 02:20 PM

<font color="#ffccff">Comparing war casualties to those killed by their own governments is also a bit ludicrous...not to mention the ridiculous numbers quoted by some people for this latest conflict in Iraq...if true, there would be no Iraqi's left to dance in the streets and to loot the governmental palaces. </font>

RevRuby 04-15-2003 02:36 PM

somehow i think this belongs in the war forum. and on a personal note i support bush and his attempts to better the lives of thsoe int he middle east. saddam does nto thinkt wice to bomb his own ppl. when has our gov't bombed our ppl? never, anyway...like i said i think this should be there not here. i hope someone else agrees.

Attalus 04-15-2003 02:40 PM

*Yawns* Routine anti-American boilerplate. Remind me to ignore future posts.

Azred 04-15-2003 05:18 PM

<font color = lightgreen>Actually, I am quite proud to be a citizen of the United States, creator of the Novus Ordo Seclorum. [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]

It is always nice to live in the center of the universe. [img]tongue.gif[/img] </font>

Larry_OHF 04-15-2003 09:18 PM

<font color=skyblue>Looks like Suzaku is not very good at making new friends...oh, and I agree with RevRuby.</font>

Gangrell 04-15-2003 09:26 PM

I, unlike others, like to think positively about things. Don't worry so much about the war. Let Bush do what he wants, he's been doing good so far anyway [img]tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="blue" size="10">Think Positive!</font>

[ 04-15-2003, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]

Mordenheim 04-15-2003 10:07 PM

You might want to do a little research on a real dictatorship before you try to use the word.