Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Packard Bell Club 50 (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81861)

Mojo 10-15-2002 08:41 AM

Anyone own such a model? If you do, PLEASE tell me where can get drivers for the modem, graphics and sound. Thank you [img]smile.gif[/img]

MagiK 10-15-2002 08:45 AM

<font color="#66cc99">Please tell me your mom's computer is NOT a Packard Bell.
If it is I seriously doubt you will ever get that pig working again :( I have had nothing but bad experiences with PB computers...and it has been a long history.

PB had a long history of non-standard hardware, and software, proprietary stuff....really icky :( </font>

[ 10-15-2002, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Mojo 10-15-2002 08:50 AM

Nope, it's definently a PB. I know what you mean though, and it's a shame about that no cussing law that Ziroc just introduced...

MagiK 10-15-2002 08:52 AM

<font color="#66cc99">My sympathies and condolences. I sincerely wish you good luck. The only way I have ever gotten these things fixed is to use the restore CD that comes with the system..and even then it has been a 50-50 shot.</font>

[ 10-15-2002, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Ronn_Bman 10-15-2002 09:24 AM

I'll have to agree, anything you can't repair with a system disc is going to be very time consuming.

My last two machines were HP Pavalians, and I used the system restore discs several times. I had results a bit better than Magik's, but it still hosed up a couple of times. When it did, I just formatted again and started over.

Do you have system restore discs? If so, use them to format, don't use the DOS command.

[ 10-15-2002, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]

MagiK 10-15-2002 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
I'll have to agree, anything you can't repair with a system disc is going to be very time consuming.

My last two machines were HP Pavalians, and I used the system restore discs several times. I had results a bit better than Magik's, but it still hosed up a couple of times. When it did, I just formatted again and started over.

Do you have system restore discs? If so, use them to format, don't use the DOS command.

<font color="#66cc99">HP's are a whole different Animal from PB's [img]smile.gif[/img] Really...Packard Bell (no longer even exists) had truely nighmarish configurations. I like HP Enterprise class servers, but have never tried their home PC's (usually too expensive)</font>

Ronn_Bman 10-15-2002 12:45 PM

We still have a PB from 1994 at work. The boss won't let me trash it because we might "need" it for something.

I keep telling him that, unless he has some important papers he wants held down during a windstorm, we won't be needing that baby for anything. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

The Pavalians I bought were never top of the line by the time I got them. They were always the Wal-Mart $1000 or less specials, but I had very good luck with them, and my son's getting one for Christmas this year.

[ 10-15-2002, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]