Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   An interesting philosophical/ethical question (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79825)

K T Ong 06-26-2002 07:31 AM

I actually came across this elsewhere -- I'm not its originator. ;)

Suppose a technologically superior race of aliens (I know, I know, we're not sure yet if aliens exist, but just suppose, okay?) came to earth with a view to taking over. Suppose, furthermore, that they gave us this offer -- they would make life perfectly painless and comfortable (physically, at least) for every last living human on earth at present, and allow us to complete our natural term of life, except that they would also make us all sterile (again without the slightest pain), so that in at most a couple of generations the human race would simply become totally extinct. Then -- and only then -- would they take over this planet. If we don't accept this deal, then it's going to be war.

What would you choose? War -- to defend the human race? Or a perfectly painless and comfortable life for everyone -- and extinction?

[ 06-26-2002, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: K T Ong ]

Jerome 06-26-2002 07:32 AM

I would fight, but it's a moot point.

Lord Shield 06-26-2002 07:33 AM

i wouldn't make the decision. would put it to global vote

Lioness 06-26-2002 07:34 AM

*shrugs* There's no point in getting a few more years if you're going to be wiped out eventually anyway. I'd defend, better to have the slimmest chance at survival than none at all.

Lord Shield 06-26-2002 07:36 AM

my own vote would be to fight, however

K T Ong 06-26-2002 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lioness:
*shrugs* There's no point in getting a few more years if you're going to be wiped out eventually anyway. I'd defend, better to have the slimmest chance at survival than none at all.
Since you're going to be wiped out anyway, why not choose to make it as painless as possible for everyone? (Just playing 'Devil's Advocate' here. [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Arnabas 06-26-2002 07:43 AM

I would fight. No question.

K T Ong 06-26-2002 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lord Shield:
Fair enough, but what would be your vote?

Dundee Slaytern 06-26-2002 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by K T Ong:
Since you're going to be wiped out anyway, why not choose to make it as painless as possible for everyone? (Just playing 'Devil's Advocate' here. [img]smile.gif[/img] )
I would rather die a free man, than live in humilation.

Lord Shield 06-26-2002 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by K T Ong:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lord Shield:

Fair enough, but what would be your vote?</font>[/QUOTE]i already posted it - DOH! :D