Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Insulting Americans (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77457)

wellard 11-05-2004 07:28 AM

I mentioned this British newspaper headline on another forum yesterday. It really angered me then and it still does now. Regardless of our views of the GW Bush administration which are valid for everyone to criticize. To insult the good folk of The USA like this pisses me right off.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/mi...BFB6FA0000.jpg

Is this racist? if the newspaper 'USA today' had done the same thing about an election in Britain how would it be taken? I will not be buying this rag ever again.

Melusine 11-05-2004 08:07 AM

Actually, I sort of agree with you. No matter how much I dislike Bush and his policies, it's a bit rich to call everybody who voted for him dumb, based on that single fact. And I also agree it's insulting. However, I have to say I also do not really understand the way Americans themselves seem to like mudslinging when it comes to politics. The things both parties say about each other, the way they dig up as much crap about each other as they can find, the epithets they bestow on each other... I like my political campaigns slightly more focussed on content and arguments. [img]tongue.gif[/img] It's impossible to be left-wing and not be a "pinko treehugging moron" or to be right-wing and not be a "fat-assed redneck gun-toting maniac". So in a way the headline is keeping in line with the usual comments.
But that doesn't mean British newspapers have to act in a similar way - you're right it's lame to call people stupid based on a single fact about them.

Edit: I don't think it's racist though. It's not insulting Americans, it insults Americans who voted for Bush. [img]smile.gif[/img] It's just insulting, which is bad enough.

[ 11-05-2004, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]

shamrock_uk 11-05-2004 08:18 AM

I hate to say it, but what did you expect from the Daily Mirror... :rolleyes:

I can see where their coming from though, but insulting like that is a bit undiplomatic. I subscribe to the view that 'if they vote him in for a second term, they deserve him'. I doubt he'll cause much turmoil in the international sphere in this term. Fiscally irresponsible though he is, he'll have to take note of the budget deficit at some point, and Congress will never let him have the cash for another war, even if the Republicans have strengthened their hold. Maybe that'll give the American public time to focus on the domestic failures he's caused in time for the next election. Fingers crossed! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-05-2004, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]

Cerek 11-05-2004 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Melusine:
It's impossible to be left-wing and not be a "pinko treehugging moron" or to be right-wing and not be a "fat-assed redneck gun-toting maniac". So in a way the headline is keeping in line with the usual comments.
But that doesn't mean British newspapers have to act in a similar way - you're right it's lame to call people stupid based on a single fact about them.
<font color=plum>You're absolutely right, <font color=yellow>Melusine</font>. It is really insulting to claim ALL right-wingers have fat-asses. That simply is not the case. :D Mine may have gotten a bit bigger over the last few years, but I still wouldn't call it "fat". [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] </font>

[ 11-05-2004, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Cerek ]

MagiK 11-05-2004 09:24 AM

<font face="COMIC Sans MS" size="3" color="#7c9bc4">When I read the title of the thread...I thought you were refering to me :D

I don't really mean to be insulting [img]smile.gif[/img] Honestly ;)

Seriously though, I guess you can just chalk it up to every country having rude people, I don't think any one nation has a monopoly on that.

As far as my fat gun totin ass goes....it's probably the slimmest part of me...I wish I had more of a caboose.....but oh well me bum is me bum and I have to accept that [img]smile.gif[/img]
</font>

[ 11-05-2004, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Timber Loftis 11-05-2004 09:58 AM

Well, I'm kinda glad somebody said it. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

Cloudbringer 11-05-2004 10:00 AM

LOL, I came in to see what this thread was about and it seems to be about butts... LOLOL! ahem... on topic, Wellard, I have to agree that a front page comment like that is pretty insulting to alot of people but I guess I'd laugh it off as sour grapes by the losing side or those who prefered the loser in the race. It is a real shame, but that's how politics seems to be around these parts so you just start expecting to see things like that. [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]

MagiK 11-05-2004 10:05 AM

<font face="COMIC Sans MS" size="3" color="#7c9bc4">Mel, you and the whole rest of the world I think would rather political candidates to actually discuss the issues so that the voters can be informed as to where each stands. While I also think it is important for the candidates voting and legislative records to be made open and available, I think the press rather than the campaign hacks should do that....

As for the Muck raking....we all would be far batter off without it.
</font>

dplax 11-05-2004 10:22 AM

To add to a topic french newspaper Le courrier international had a front page headline in front of a picture of Bush) saying.

Putain!! 4 ans.

Which would roughly translates to:
Sh*t!! 4 years.

I feel that they went too far

johnny 11-05-2004 10:28 AM

Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it ? If Kerry would have won, would everyone be crawling up America's ass now, trying to kiss and make up ?

Besides, what would messageboards be without George W Bush ? A whole lot more boring, at least y'all should be gratefull for that. :D