Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   recommendations? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76480)

sultan 12-09-2003 07:39 PM

i personally found the religious discussions to be incredibly informative and challenging, other issues notwithstanding.

i'd like to continue those discussions, but respect the decision not to do so here.

the knowledge and passions of members here set a high standard. with that in mind, can anyone recommend another forum that has discussions comparable to the level here?

cheers.

LordKathen 12-10-2003 12:27 AM

<font color=lime>A great place to discuss, debate, etc.: http://www.iidb.org/vbb/index.php I am "msman" there. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img] </font>

[ 12-10-2003, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]

Maelakin 12-10-2003 10:11 AM

You could also create an e-mail group to discuss those topics. Just invite the people that supply intriguing conversation. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You could also make it a public option allowing anyone to join in the conversation, just not here on the boards.

Cerek the Barbaric 12-10-2003 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Maelakin:
You could also create an e-mail group to discuss those topics. Just invite the people that supply intriguing conversation. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You could also make it a public option allowing anyone to join in the conversation, just not here on the boards.

<font color=deepskyblue>That's probably the best option, <font color=white>Maelakin</font>.

It is generally considered "bad form" to advertise other forums, although the Mods might be willing to make an exception in this case.</font>

LordKathen 12-10-2003 03:54 PM

<font color=lime>Yes Cerek, I was worried about that after the fact. Probly should have PMed him. Sorry mods. It is a forum of completely different medium though, so maybe it will slide. Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img] </font>

sultan 12-10-2003 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
<font color=deepskyblue>It is generally considered "bad form" to advertise other forums, although the Mods might be willing to make an exception in this case.</font>
whoops. i didnt mean to offend. just looking for an alternative.
happy to have anyone send any alternate ideas to my email.

cheers.

Cerek the Barbaric 12-10-2003 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LordKathen:
<font color=lime>Yes Cerek, I was worried about that after the fact. Probly should have PMed him. Sorry mods. It is a forum of completely different medium though, so maybe it will slide. Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img] </font>
<font color=deepskyblue>Well, it looks like no harm has been done. I'm assuming the Mod's have let it slide since it is designed specifically for religious debate and that topic is currently off limits here....so there isn't the "conflict of interest" you would have if it were just a regular forum.

I did check the site out and browsed a few of the threads. Doesn't look like a very friendly place for believers. I get the feeling that those of faith would be the subject of much ridicule and derision and wouldn't get much support from the Mods. Of course, the same would hold true for non-believers that visited a site operated by Christians or other believers. They would be in the extreme minority and would be "ganged up" on by the other members.

That is one reason a site like IW is a much better venue for such debates.....because BOTH sides have a more equal representation among the members and the Mods don't play favorites in either direction.

Maybe the personalities and passions will settle down enough to allow civil discussion to occur here again after an adequate sabbatical. ;) </font>

LordKathen 12-11-2003 09:34 AM

<font color=lime>I would definetly agree Cerek. It is a biased forum of course, and after you wade through the crap rants, there is some interesting debates there. You just have to look. I have been to "Christian" forums, and like you said it is just as "biased", and can be as rude. Well it was just a suggestion. Just an alternative, ya know? [img]smile.gif[/img] </font>

Memnoch 12-11-2003 09:52 AM

Personally, I don't have a problem with recommending sites, though I'd rather we not discuss the sites here - and PM is always a more tactful way of communicating this info. Just makes it easier for everyone. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch 12-11-2003 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Maybe the personalities and passions will settle down enough to allow civil discussion to occur here again after an adequate sabbatical. ;) </font>
Maybe. I'm not holding my breath at this point, and neither should you guys. Maybe things will change, maybe we will grow more mature as a group, and maybe we'll be able to go beyond debating whose toy is the biggest - to getting to a point of experiencing shared learning and understanding. We are far from that at this point, judging from the number of religious threads we've had to lock or post warnings on. Time will tell - we'll evaluate it in a few months or so. ;)

[ 12-12-2003, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]