Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Harry Potter - Philosopher's or Sorcerer's Stone? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73242)

Yorick 01-30-2002 10:35 AM

In some countries it's "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"
while in others it's "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone.

Anyone know why?

Wierd.

WOLFGIR 01-30-2002 10:40 AM

Harry´s Plotter and the wise stoned?? Sounds like dangerous stuff Yorrick! ;)

Well, there is supposed to be two books right, one for "children" and one more adult one.. Or so I have heard but never really bothered.. I like to come up with funny names though! ;) (Yeah I leave here soon, no worry, my really bad wednesday humour will not taunt you for long ;) )

Yorick 01-30-2002 10:49 AM

Harry Pothead and the saucer is stoned.

Gray Mage 01-30-2002 10:51 AM

I think that the original name of the book, written by J.K. Rowling was "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", but when it was purchased by Warner Brothers they "amended" the title to suit the audience.

Now I think that possibly, because the book was written in England or published there anyway, (by Bloomsbury Children's Books in June 1997) that the producers wanted it to more closely match the title. Being that the book was released that way in 97, they wanted to name the movie as the book was, when originally released.

Now, I have a question. Why was the title changed from Philosopher's stone to Sorcerer's stone in book format in the USA? I think maybe because of the way our culture is. What do you think?

Donut 01-30-2002 10:53 AM

When the book was first published in the US some bright marketing spark thought that 'Sorcerer's Stone' had more to do with magic than 'Philosopher's Stone', so he changed it. He was obviously unaware of the importance of the Philosophers stone in mysticism and alchemy. The stone was combined with base metal to form silver or gold.

Of course some say the title was changed because American's wouldn't know what a philosopher is, but that would be 'American bashing' and I would certainly want no part of that! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Two versions of the film were made for where the stone is mentioned, and the word is changed from philosopher to sorcerer whenever necessary.

Sir Byronas 01-30-2002 11:15 AM

What I will say is true believe me!
The title of Harry Potter's first book in USA is "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". This is why Americans believe that the only philosopher is Socrates and so they can't say "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone". They've changed it to look like magician and so it cam out "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". Believe me guys. This is the true reason!

Epona 01-30-2002 11:19 AM

Oh Yorick, there I am trying to entice people into the books & movies forum - this thread would have been great there, I'm disappointed, tut-tut [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Grand-Ranger 01-30-2002 11:19 AM

No one needs to know that much about Harry Poter ;)

norompanlasolas 01-30-2002 11:28 AM

in spain it was translated to "harry potter y la piedra filosofal", thats "and the philosophers stone"... in case anyone cares. [img]smile.gif[/img]

i too didnt understand why they change the title. my guess was cultural reasons or something like that.

Bruce The Aussie 01-30-2002 01:01 PM

Harry potter and the philosophers stone was changed to the sorcere's stone prosibley because they thought less people would know what the philosophers stone was in some country's (just an idea not trying to call anyone stupid) [img]graemlins/merlin.gif[/img]

also harry pothead is prince harry of the england royal family. :D [img]graemlins/bonghit.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/magic.gif[/img]

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Bruce The Aussie ]</p>