Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   MLK Day (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73064)

Reeka 01-18-2002 12:08 PM

To the Americans out there: I am curious, do you get Martin Luther King Day off? I do, and just kind of wondered how it is for most of you.

Morgeruat 01-18-2002 12:22 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Reeka:
To the Americans out there: I am curious, do you get Martin Luther King Day off? I do, and just kind of wondered how it is for most of you.<hr></blockquote>

I do, but I'm a federal Employee ( US Army all the way)

Garnet FalconDance 01-18-2002 12:28 PM

I think the federal offices are closed--the post ofc, the banks and the library are, I know. Hubby still has to work, tho, as do most other non-government workers, I imagine.

MagiK 01-18-2002 12:51 PM

My company forces me to use what they TERM as a "floating" holidy...theoreticly the floating holidays I get (4) are supposed to be variable and taken when I wish to celebrate...however they have thoughtfully "assigned" 3 of the 4 for me...MLK day being one of them.

While I think Mr. King was a great guy and all I would much rather use this "float day" in the summer when I have my kids than now while they are with their mother and attending school.

Wow how did I get into the personal life documentary mood?

Sazerac 01-18-2002 01:00 PM

We don't get MLK off here at the school, since we're a proprietary skills training institute (not state-run).

Personally, I consider it a time to reflect upon what is meant by "civil rights" and the struggle that all of our people have had to go through at some time in the past to achieve civil rights and equality. Racial/ethnic minorities, women, religious groups...heck, even us Internetters have had to fight civil infractions. Remember the CDA back in 1996? It's an ongoing struggle.

At least, it's important to respect the holiday that way, and not use it for another commercialization through yet another danged Mervyn's or Target's "White" sale. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

-Saz

Galadria1 01-18-2002 02:50 PM

Hi, Reeka. My husband and I both have to work, it being a Monday and we being medical type people, but my stepson has the day off school. Agree pretty much with Sazerac, it always reminds me how one can struggle without taking the low road, as so many seem to regard the end justifies the means. Dr. King, good theologian that he was, recognised that as a classic error, and I honor him for that, also.

Lord of Alcohol 01-18-2002 05:27 PM

Work, work, work need to pay bills!

Larry_OHF 01-18-2002 05:32 PM

<font color="lightblue">
I do have work,

but I do not have college.</font>

DawnChaser 01-18-2002 05:38 PM

As a government employee, I get the day off [img]smile.gif[/img]

I received an error message "Sorry, we do not permit this HTML tag: Parenthesis in HTML tag"

my signature includes parentheses. Is there a way around this?

SSJ4Sephiroth 01-19-2002 03:08 AM

as a student in a backwater city in Oklahoma, i do not get this particular holiday off only because the school board refuses to acknwoledge the struggle for civil rights. and no, i do not like my school [img]tongue.gif[/img] .