Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Sure games graphics are better but what else? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72939)

Black Dragon 01-09-2002 07:59 PM

So far I've noticed that alot of the older games are alittle bit more fun, but on the newer ones the graphics are much better but the gameplay is ruined by constant videos. Maybe I just haven't tried enough different games yet but this is just my observation. Plz give me your opinion on the newer system games.

Neb 01-09-2002 08:04 PM

Newer games tend to focus more on graphics than gameplay and storyline, personally I find the most important thing about a good game to be the gameplay, music and storyline, in that order [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ezekial 01-09-2002 08:10 PM

I own very few "brand new" games for this very reason. The only new games I buy are games like Civ III. Other than that I'd rather go for the budget ranges!! Better choice and better games, but poorer graphics to todays standards...

Black Dragon 01-09-2002 09:00 PM

I see, I was wondering becuase I noticed newer games are way shorter.(probably due to the waste of memory with superior graphics) There storylines are becomming crappy, well most of them. But some of the games remain pretty good. Its just most of them suck now thnx to the higher graphics.

fable 01-09-2002 09:04 PM

It depends on the game, I think, and perhaps on the genre and platform. Take strategy games: I've seen quite a few on the PC that make excellent use of increased crunching power to add new features.

Glorfindel 01-09-2002 09:12 PM

Id neva thought of this but now that u mention it I agree.... for instance the BG series..... the Graphics arent exactly super 3D amazing... but its more than enough 2 get the job done well, and the storyline absoloutely kicks ass.... BG2 Rulz!!! :D

Redblueflare 01-10-2002 08:37 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Black Dragon:
I see, I was wondering becuase I noticed newer games are way shorter.(probably due to the waste of memory with superior graphics) There storylines are becomming crappy, well most of them. But some of the games remain pretty good. Its just most of them suck now thnx to the higher graphics.<hr></blockquote>Doni, what's this new game you're talking about? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Sir Byronas 01-10-2002 10:06 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Black Dragon:
I see, I was wondering becuase I noticed newer games are way shorter.(probably due to the waste of memory with superior graphics) There storylines are becomming crappy, well most of them. But some of the games remain pretty good. Its just most of them suck now thnx to the higher graphics.<hr></blockquote>
I agree with you Black Dragon.

Black Dragon 01-10-2002 10:50 AM

Man David, alot of the newer games have better quality graphics but the game's story lines are getting worste. Either they are wasting all the memory on graphics and cannot fit a better story line in it or they are running out of stories to use. Plus you'll notice alot of 2's and 3's to games are just practically the same thing. I know Final Fantasy isn't the same in any game but most other games are. Like Tony Hawks. I got TH2 and TH3 now. I like TH2 better. I guess its just the lvls and stuff. TH3 is way better than the first one though. But I liked the second one better. (Although the third one really wasn't that bad)

Sazerac 01-10-2002 10:59 AM

MYST was the culprit that started the "all sizzle, no steak" trend in gaming. Everyone jumped on the graphics bandwagon after that, and now it's almost a rule that storyline doesn't count for naught, as long as you have glitzy graphics.

There are still quite a few games out there, though, that have decent enough graphics and a great storyline. As Glorfindel says, the BG2 series is like this; so is IWD/HoW. Wizardry 8 has great graphics and a great storyline, and TES: Morrowind promises to deliver that as well. They're out there, you just have to be discerning.

Cheers,
-Sazerac