Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   PM function - Good or Bad? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71903)

Ronn_Bman 11-07-2001 03:25 PM

I actually like the PM function, but lately I've wondered whether or not it might affect posting. Initially, I thought "this will keep people from chit chatting and going off topic" but then an idea struck me.

Many of the threads I've gotten interested in on GD have been started by a couple of people talking back and forth, or people going off topic on a post and turning it into something interesting.

Just makes me wonder if I'm missing anything ;)

domingo 11-07-2001 03:27 PM

hmmm thats a good point ... never thought of it that way ....

Grojlach 11-07-2001 03:30 PM

In a voyeuristic mood, Ronn_Bman? :D

Ronn_Bman 11-07-2001 04:44 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Grojlach:
In a voyeuristic mood, Ronn_Bman? :D <hr></blockquote>

Yes, but only in a wholesome way *winks*

Memnoch 11-08-2001 09:16 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
I actually like the PM function, but lately I've wondered whether or not it might affect posting. Initially, I thought "this will keep people from chit chatting and going off topic" but then an idea struck me.

Many of the threads I've gotten interested in on GD have been started by a couple of people talking back and forth, or people going off topic on a post and turning it into something interesting.

Just makes me wonder if I'm missing anything ;)
<hr></blockquote>

I don't think so. PMs should be used for, well, private messages. :D PMs are good for asking a specific person a specific question. It's also a great (and private) way of letting a person know in case you weren't happy with something they posted. Avoids the possibility of public flames. Also, for mods and admin it's a great way to let someone know they've done the wrong thing, without embarrassing them in public.

Unless of course they deserve to be embarrassed... :D

AzureWolf 11-08-2001 10:36 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Memnoch:

Unless of course they deserve to be embarrassed... :D
<hr></blockquote>

This HAD to be directed at me :(

I swear in every genie post there is a subtle insult to either me or Mr Elephant :(

Memnoch 11-08-2001 08:19 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hamlet Overlord:

This HAD to be directed at me :(

I swear in every genie post there is a subtle insult to either me or Mr Elephant :(
<hr></blockquote>

You don't need to be embarrassed by anyone, Hamlet Man - you do that all by yourself!! :D [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Tom 11-08-2001 09:58 PM

The PM thingy kicks @$$!

AzureWolf 11-09-2001 02:24 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Memnoch:

You don't need to be embarrassed by anyone, Hamlet Man - you do that all by yourself!! :D [img]tongue.gif[/img]
<hr></blockquote>

Need I even reply? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Memnoch 11-09-2001 04:16 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hamlet Overlord:

Need I even reply? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
<hr></blockquote>

D'oh! You did it again! :D [img]tongue.gif[/img]