Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   multi-class characters (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51916)

Wolverine 03-20-2001 12:11 PM

New to RPG...but loving BG2

I am in chapter 2 and done with freeing the stronghold of the trolls. I am a multi-class fighter/thief/mage. I'm starting to feel that this might not be the best choice for a character. What do you think? What is the best character to start out with? What kind of character is the most powerful? Can I change to this without starting the game over? Also, Can I get a stronghold as a multi-class?

Thanks.

DarkJedi 03-20-2001 12:18 PM

First off u ahve to start over to create a new character. I think that combo does not work because it splits the exp 3 ways. I chose assasin for the backstab damage and the find traps and pick locks which are useful and plus gives you exp.
I have heard a lot that a Kensai/Mage is pretty good, but i havent tried it out.

el_kalkylus 03-20-2001 12:26 PM

The fighter/mage/thief is very powerful, but not if you are playing with a 6 member party, because then he/she won't get much exp for each class.

Wolverine 03-20-2001 01:19 PM

Can a multi-class get a stronghold?

Entreri 03-20-2001 01:30 PM

My favorite multi-class is the fighter-mage and she is very powerful combine with 2 katanas specialization; robe of vecna to cast many spells in less than 1 sec. And yes you can have the fighter stronghold, the one you just free from the trolls at nalia keep. But I dont know if you can have others since you are 3 classes, I don't remember having the mage stronghold after the planar sphere quest.

------------------
Maybe it's because I hate drows more than I hate Humans - Jarlaxle to Entreri

Throntar 03-20-2001 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Wolverine:
Can a multi-class get a stronghold?
Yes. You can choose any one of the three. But not more than one...unless you cheat.

------------------
The only good giant is a dead giant!
---Throntar the Battlerager---

Accord 03-20-2001 01:41 PM

There is a certain glitch in the game that let multi or dual class fighters to get more than 1 stronghold, but I think the patch might have fixed it.
As for starting character, it you are new to BG or BG2, I would suggest a paladin or ranger due to their simplicity and special advantages. Undead Hunter or Cavalier are good choices for palies. For rangers, either pick the normal no kit ranger or the Archer.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!

white heron 03-20-2001 01:48 PM

I'm playing Fighter/Mage/Thief right now also,and its good having a mage that can use a longbow ,shield,helmet,ect, and can backstab too,but especially hide in shadows so you can do sneaky spell attacks from out of nowhere,and what with the thieving skills ,lots of hitpoints and attack bonuses its a great combination and fun to play.
It's hard keeping the numbers down,i agree and sometimes i wish for more separate attacks that a full party could offer.But right now its Minsc,Jaheira,Aerie, and I,and we are a solid team.
Picking up NPC's, doing their quests and dumping them has been the way.
.....You can choose any(but just one)of the strongholds-Nalia's Keep,Planar Sphere,or Thieves Guild.

------------------
"The temple is I and I am the temple".

MILAMBER 03-20-2001 02:49 PM

If you keep that character, dump everyone else in the group and kill every chicken, dog, and monster you can get your hands on. You will need the exp.

------------------
Tremble and despair, for I am power! All here are now judged, and are found wanting.

Accord 03-20-2001 02:54 PM

Or you can use the CreateCreature code to make critters for your killing pleasures...... http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/cgi-...les/tongue.gif

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!