Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Is Baldur's Gate II on a time limit? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49281)

Bishop 12-10-2000 12:14 AM

Is there some penalty for playing through Baldur's Gate slowly? For example, are there quests that REALLY do have a time limit on them. It seems like every quest I have done so far (which I am in like chapter 2 or 3 so not many), the dialogue has portrayed this dire emergency that has to be done RIGHT NOW. That is great writing as for the story line, but are you really penalized if you play slow. One that comes to mind is the Shadow Thief guy telling me that I needed to go quickly or the ship captain will back out of taking me to spellhold. Is there anything really that will happen if I take my time and do the Umar Hills, Windspear Hills, Trademeet, Temple District Sewars quests before I sail off to spellhold?

The big reason I ask is because I have just been introduced to the wonders of the spell Haste. What an awesome spell, and what an awesome side effect. If I find myself taking an 8 hour nap after every major fight, I will be days and days into the game before I ever go sail the high seas. Is that going to mess anything up? Any input would help.

-Bishop

bogus 12-10-2000 12:23 AM

there is no total timelimit in bg2 afaik.. but some quests have a time-frame.. however I seriously doubt that the ship will sail without you.. if it did youd be unable to complete the game unless ofcourse you can miss the boat but get another transport instead.. dunno about that.. my suggestion is a simple test:
1. save your game
2. rent 50000000 times (or a little less)
3. go and see if the boat is still there..

b

MidNightForce 12-10-2000 12:50 AM

The ship wont go without you. The Chief of the thieves guild says that, but if you reply, you just want to buy a little proviant and come as soon as you can back, you have all time you want in order to complete all town quests + the windspear, umarhills and so on quests.

omegadawn 12-10-2000 03:59 PM

Some quests later in the game do have a time limit. I won't spoil it for you unless you ask.

stred 12-10-2000 05:31 PM

or you can use improved haste so you wont need sleep after.

Memnoch 12-11-2000 12:09 AM

Some quests which have numerical deadlines (ie 1 day/1week/1 hour) need to be completed within those parameters. Others where the deadline is "ASAP/immediately/urgent/blablabla" can be completed at your leisure.

MidNightForce 12-11-2000 05:20 AM

Plz spoil me
Or just say which chapters have time limit quests.
Im in chapter 4, but until yet i had, so far i know, no time limit quests...

Armisael 12-11-2000 05:23 AM

Unless they set a specific time limit, there usually isn't one - example, the Ust Natha quests in chapter five, in which they almost always set a deadline of three days.

Magnus 12-12-2000 03:15 PM

MidNightForce,
I know of one.... I had to reload. When the Radiant Heart sends you to Umar to rescue some knights. I waited 2 or 3 days. I was too late. They were killed and I was SOL. I don't know what the limit is...but there is one.

Suul-Yinn 12-12-2000 09:36 PM

It's not a problem, as if you get there in time, you kill them yourself accidently anyhow, but it doesn't affect the Umar hill quests in any way.