Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   first time solo (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24026)

Serak Moonblade 05-10-2005 12:44 PM

i've finished IWD and HoW before as a party of 6. now for the first time i'm soloing as a fighter/mage/thief. is this a good selection? what other possible combinations do you think will make the game more challenging? i'm playing on "very easy" mode. i'm just about to deal with the priestess of auril.

one major trouble i'm encountering is the tansfer of loot from the corpses to the smithy and gerth's shoppe. i don't remember where the bag of holding is located? could someone refresh my memory. i have HoW installed too since i doubt the bag of holding exists in IWD alone.

Also when would be a good time to install TotLM and where can i get a safe download from? i recently experienced some very nasty virus problems and hence am quite concerned about my comp.

thanks.

pritchke 05-10-2005 01:21 PM

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">Congrats on your first solo.

First install TotLM right away. Download here. Secondly boast your difficulty to at least normal. While you will find the start hard, you will gain experiance and go up levels quickly so it will not feel overly difficult for ever. A Fighter/Mage/Thief is as good as class as any to do a solo with. It is possible to solo on HoF. I did so with a Fighter/Mage/Cleric although I think this is most likely the least challenging of the characters to choose from even without the thief abilities. I can still open locks, detect traps, and evade enemies so they can't see me. The only thing I could not do is disable traps safely. But I could buff than disable them, Hee!Hee!</font>

[ 05-10-2005, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]

Midget Gems 05-11-2005 02:57 AM

Sorry no Bag of Holding in IWD/HOW unless you install one of the mods. So inventory management will always be a problem and/or a challange, but good luck anyway. I would agree that you should try and play on Normal setting for the best balance for XP against reloads.

My personal favourites to solo are Fighter/Mage and Cleric/Mage - I always feel I can work around the lack of thief skills and I feel I have to play a magic user.

Serak Moonblade 05-11-2005 12:59 PM

thanks guys!

this is one thing i love about this site: the warmth and encouragement.

anyways i used you link pritchke but after i click download, nothing happens. more over i raised the difficulty setting to normal but the next battle was easy too so i raised it to insane especially since i had enough cash to buy the black bow from conlan, now i can feel a certain amount of uncertainity as to whether i'll survive the battles. i'm finding the troll and spider battle close to the entrance of level 2 of dragon's eye, quite tough. but i hope to make it through.

soloing makes you appreciate many more of the spells. earlier i used to be a hack'n'slash kind. now its more of strategy.

i'm a half-elf and with a str score of 18, i was wondering how would a halfling bard or something like that would fare especially with the weight constraints.

and it's really a pity that dual wielding is not permitted.

anyways, thanks again!

pritchke 05-11-2005 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Serak Moonblade:
thanks guys!

this is one thing i love about this site: the warmth and encouragement.

anyways i used you link pritchke but after i click download, nothing happens.

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">You did become a registered user first correct?</font>

[ 05-11-2005, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]

Serak Moonblade 05-11-2005 09:27 PM

yes i am a registered member. otherwise you can't come to the download button screen.