Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Bards! How to make a good one? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23517)

browns1977 09-02-2003 05:26 PM

Howdy all,

Ok I am going to make another bard tonight, I think. I started a new game this weekend after reading a few things on this forum. A few questions about this. Right now my party is this.

1 Human Paladin
1 Dwarf Fighter
1 Human Fighter going to MC to Mage after 6th
1 Human Ranger going to MC to Cleric after 6th
1 Elf Thief
1 Half-elf Druid

I am going to drop the Dwarf, the group seems to handle melee well, and add in a brand spanking new Bard. Is CHA important for the effect of the bard songs? I know he needs INT for casting and DEX and CON to make up for his low ac. Are there any tips or suggestions in stats?

I want to get this party finished with IWD and then hopefully by then I will have found HOW and then I can move to that.

Thanks,
Browns

AvengingAngel535 09-02-2003 06:02 PM

My bard is: Dex:18 Int:18 Char:15 (it's required) Str:10 Wis:10 Cnst:16 She's bloody good too [img]smile.gif[/img]

NobleNick 09-02-2003 09:44 PM

<font color = mediumspringgreen>browns1977,

If I were going to play IWD then get HoW (something I wouldn't do, since the HoW add-on makes the IWD areas so much more enjoyable), then I would wait unitl HoW to make the bard and druid.

Otherwise, I think your party looks fairly nice as is. Your plan for dual-classing looks great. The Pally will make a good tank. I think that with everyone else kind of generalizing you would want at least one guy who specializes in hitting HARD: your dwarf fighter. If you want to trade him in on a Bard (especially a non-HoW one), I'd let at least one of your other fighters get to level 9 before dualing over.

Also, I would take the thief to level 5 or 6 and DC to mage, or vice versa, or make the character a fighter that duals to thief at level 6. Or a MC fighter/thief or MC gnome Thief/Illusionist. Anything to get a litle more Uuumppff! out of this character. The Thief/Illusionist is a great compliment to the Bard, since between the two all schools of magic are covered. My only complaint about the mage/thief is that you often get your most defenseless and valuable character (and she was both) caught away from the party's protection.

Edit: To re-emphasize, the first step in making a good Bard is to install HoW.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
</font>

[ 09-02-2003, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]

browns1977 09-03-2003 12:03 PM

I know you do not agree but I went ahead and dropped the dwarf for the bard. I figure I might as well get her leveled up now for when I do get HoW. She is pretty good with a bow so it has been a fair trade off for now. I think I have gotten her up to 7th already. I am chasing down a little girl who is heckling me in Dragons Eye. I think I am nearing the end of the dungeon. Things seem to be heating up so I guess I will see how my party handles that.

Question, does Balders Gate 2 have the 'updated' songs and spells for druids and bards? Just curious for if I decided to move my party over there.

Bozos of Bones 09-03-2003 02:01 PM

Chasing the girl, huh? Good Luck!
P.S.
What exactly do bards get in HoW?

Stratos 09-03-2003 02:26 PM

Bards get:
Quote:

The Ballad of Three Heroes..Bards start the game with the ability to
play this ballad.When the Ballad of Three Heroes is played,all the bard ’s
allies gain +1 to hit,+1 damage,and +1 saving throws.
The Tale of Curran Strongheart..Bards gain this song at 3rd level.
When the Tale of Curran Strongheart is being played,any fear effect on
the bard ’s allies are removed,and they gain an immunity to fear effects for
as long as the song lasts.
Tymora ’s Melody.Bards gain this song at 5th level.When played,
Tymora ’s Melody gives the bard ’s allies +1 luck,+3 saving throws,and
+10%to their lore skill and thief skills.
The Song of Kaudies..Bards gain this song at 7th level.When the Song
of Kaudies is played,the bard ’s allies have a 50%chance to shrug off the
effects of spells such as Silence,Shout,Great Shout,Command,or any
other sound-based attack.
The Siren ’s Yearning..Bards gain the Siren ’s Yearning at 9th level.
When played,the bard ’s enemies must save vs.spell or be enthralled,
unable to take action until 1 turn passes or they take damage.
War Chant of Sith..The War Chant of Sith becomes available to bards
when they reach 11th level.When played,the bard ’s allies gain -2 bonus
to AC,+10%Resistance to slashing,piercing,crushing,and missile
attacks,and the ability to regenerate 2 hit points every round.
Check out the War Chant of Sith. :D

Browns1977, unfortunately BG2 doesn't have these songs but you get a good one of you install Throne of Bhaal. Further you can't move your party bewteen IWD and BG2 at all.

browns1977 09-03-2003 03:06 PM

Thanks Bozo, I hope to stomp her. It is just a little girl right? Yeah! That casts dimension door!!! That doesn't happen everyday.

Thanks for the info Stratos. That sucks, but o'well I will be busy with IWD for awhile yet. I can't wait to find HoW. Can IWD characters move to IWD2?

Bozos of Bones 09-03-2003 07:47 PM

You can not move chars between IWD and IWD2 because the latter is 3rd ed and the former is 2nd ed modified. IWD2 is so much better, meaning it's diversity.
P.S. I hope you memorized as much dispell and remove poison you could.

NobleNick 09-04-2003 04:19 PM

<font color = mediumspringgreen>browns1977,

That's one of the nice things about this game: you get to do what YOU want to do.

The little girl. Heh, heh, heh. Be careful. She can... er... umm... well, let's just say that on the road of life she can blow by the "Puberty" mile post fast enough to knock the thing over with her dust.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
</font>

esquire 09-13-2003 12:20 AM

I am playing a Bard (blade) in BG II right now, he is awsome!
18int helps with lore as well.

Dual weilding axes and using short bow when needed.... he can chop anything to bits in seconds.... ok well not seconds, but eventually ;)
And if brute force is not enough, he can lob a few spells as well.

Bards rule!