Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Mods question (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16267)

Stonewarrior 02-03-2005 09:43 PM

Hi, a quick mods question from one who has never tried one. If you install would you have to start a new a game them to usable? This is my first time playing SoA so there wouldn't be many I would want to try, but I was curious.

shamrock_uk 02-03-2005 10:27 PM

It really depends on the mods you want to try. Most of them would work from the point of install. Some NPC mods would be unaccesable because they're picked up inside Irenicus' dungeon.

If you tell us the ones you have an eye on we could give a more definite answer...

Nerull 02-03-2005 10:28 PM

Depends on the mod. If it is something small like the bonus merchants, you should not have to restart. But anything that makes any serious changes you probably do. Safest bet is to restart if you add a mod.

However, a piece of advice: don't download mods until you finish the game the first time through. The only things you should download and install are the official patch (obvious reasons) and the Baldurdash fixpacks (which fix errors in the game as well). This will allow you to enjoy the game as it was originally designed, then afterwards you can tinker with the game to your heart's content.

Stonewarrior 02-04-2005 09:14 AM

Thanks for the info. The main mods I was considering would be the bonus merchant and the bottomless bag. I just never seem to have enough space for everything. lol I still haven't installed the patch or fix pack...not sure why. I only seem to think about it while reading the forum at work and not when I am home playing.

Kestrel Daystar 02-04-2005 09:25 AM

You should really really get the Patch and Fixpack, they make the game run much smoother, a hell of a lot. Irons out most bugs that are known.

I would also suggest getting Unfinished Business, it adds alot more to the game and is probably one of the best mods for adding quests and other things into the game that fit in very very well, seeing as it is tying up loose ends and such. Its also a must if you love Minsc and Boo.

--Kestrel--

Stonewarrior 02-04-2005 10:42 AM

Is unfinished business a mod that needs to be installed prior to starting? I am headed to the upper level of the dungeon in the Asylum (chap 4?).

Kestrel Daystar 02-04-2005 10:46 AM

Well, it is nice to start from the beginning with the mod. I assume you are enjoying the game, being it your first time playing it?

If you like the game then after you have finished playing through on an unmodded game, go and install a few good mods then play through again. I presume that you would have done that anyway?

--Kestrel--

Andyr 02-04-2005 06:32 PM

Unfinished Business should work fine if installed mid-game, though you may miss out on some of the stuff added earlier on in the game.

Euso 02-07-2005 09:29 AM

Hey btw, is it ok to install the patch and the fixpack in the middle of a game? Or do I have to start a new one for them to work? Also I have some minor mods installed from the Ease of Use, is that a problem? Should I uninstall them before installing the fixes?

Kestrel Daystar 02-07-2005 09:32 AM

Yes, the patch and fixpacks will work if you install mid game (As far as I know).

Definitely definitely definitely dont install ANY mod before installing the patch then fixpack. It will screw your game up big style!

--Kestrel--