Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Drow equipment is cheesy (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15312)

Lymond 05-20-2004 11:22 AM

I remember the first Drow equipment I looted- Plate mail +5.
All right! REALLY good armor!
Wait a minute.
What was that message about Drow equipment?
"Disintegrates in daylight"
What's that mean?
I can only go out at night, I guess. That's a pain.

So I looked on the forum and found that it's only good in the Underdark. Yes, there are ways to cheat the game into letting you keep it, but that's not the point.

Now I looted a cloak with Hide in Shadows +75%. Give me a break! Why don't they give me a +25 Dragon killer sword and a +80% protection from everything mage robe while they're at it? It reminds me of when I have those dreams where I win a Ferrari. Then I wake up.

Personally, I don't even use the stuff- just sell it right off the bat. Why get used to something that I'm not going to get to keep?

Illumina Drathiran'ar 05-20-2004 12:08 PM

Know what else is cheesy?
Elder Orb: Antimagic Ray- Edwin
Elder Orb: Stone to Flesh- Edwin
Gauth: Cause Serious Wounds- Viconia
Beholder: Disintegrate- Viconia

And so on, and so forth.
The only thing cheesy about this possible scenario would be the Shield of Balduran. They give you that stuff for two reasons:
1) The drow have EXCELLENT equipment and they were keeping true to Faerun
2) Depending on how good you are, generally the first time you play the game you will NEED that in the Underdark. But no player worth their salt needs that on the surface.

Black Baron 05-20-2004 12:39 PM

Viconia-Magic resistance.
Beholder-Damn!!!
Viconia-Summon sceleton warrior.
Beholder-I will..... bite you!

Elder Orb-Anti magic ray.
Edwin-spell shield expires.
Edwin- summon sceleton warrior.
Elder orb-Dah, i am too stupid to attack edwin. Lets cast antimagic ray at 95% MR opponent.
:D

now to the main point:
Sometimes the stuff is a must. If you grab imoen right away, you will not have too much +3 weapons.

Lymond 05-20-2004 01:18 PM

Black Baron, you hit the nail on the head. I spent a lot of time in chapters 2 and 3, completing as many quests as I could. I don't know what level I'm at, but I'm able to get along without the armor (so far).

It's just frustrating to see all this great equipment that you can't keep. We should have the magical research department start working on sunblock enchantments.

CerebroDragon 05-20-2004 02:12 PM

I'm sure the majority of Drow society would be mighty pleased indeed knowing heroic adventurers are prancing around with their equipment, selling extras off to svirfnebli, duerger and the likes. :rolleyes:

The esoteric nature of Drow weaponry in their society means that they protect the secrets of their creation at all costs.

Also, I think Illumina made a good point in saying that the well seasoned and prepared adventurer has no real need for drow equipment on the surface anyway. There is enough magical armour and weaponry in SoA as it is to compensate. It adds character to your struggle with bad AC just to find them too. :D

Pystal 05-20-2004 04:58 PM

Actually,

Most Drow EQ is made by the dark dwarves and other type races. The Drow can make really good EQ but they usually steal buy take or have the EQ upgraded by others.

They have some awsome stuff on thier own but most of the great stuff is not Drow made. Although they do make a great wrist crossbow for shooting tiny sleeping darts.

Anyway,

I still love their EQ. It looks great and what not. The items should not just turn to dust right away upon leaving the underdark though. It should take some time for it to slowly start to lose its power etc. I can see it now... Wow, I love this stuff. It works on the surface. Whomever said that it turns to dust is wrong. Then you travel for a while and your Drow gear starts to show signs of fatigue. Aw man, this stuff is just not helping anymore. Then you find yourself in the middle of a great battle out in the middle of nowere with you armor falling apart, and weapons crumbling hehe.

I am rambling arent I?

Oh well,

Have fun all,

Pystal

Illumina Drathiran'ar 05-20-2004 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Black Baron:
Viconia-Magic resistance.
Beholder-Damn!!!
Viconia-Summon sceleton warrior.
Beholder-I will..... bite you!

Elder Orb-Anti magic ray.
Edwin-spell shield expires.
Edwin- summon sceleton warrior.

Uh-uh... Can't cast spells when hit by an antimagic ray... VERY annoying.

bamflegend 05-20-2004 06:58 PM

The only beef I have with drow equipment is that it should sell for more. I mean c'mon full plate +5 sells for only like 300. Drow economy must be down.
bamflegend

JrKASperov 05-20-2004 07:20 PM

No, the price for an item isn't set by how magical it is, but by how rare it is. In the Underdark, these plate mails are not rare, so they certainly won't sell for much.

Firestormalpha 05-20-2004 09:03 PM

Yep drow equipment is cheese. especially if you bring out of the underdark successfully. At which point it becomes both a cheat and a cheese. Both of which I don't like.