Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Good book series..... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39719)

moiraine sedai 08-27-2003 06:23 AM

It's taken me soooo long to get around to this.....

I feel it is my duty to plug The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan.

It's a great line of books (about ten of em now, all quite long...) with some absolutely fantastic character development.

The first book is called The Eye of The World. Go. Go now. Go to your library. Go to your bookshop. I do not care. You HAVE to read it.

( Damn! Guess the jedi mindtricks aren't workin' like they used ta! Must be all the ppls brains getting fried by countless hours spent on the internet)

Yeah, so GO READ IT. I love it. Anyone else want to share their ideas on the series? Have any other series' to suggest?

For lovers of the saga, go to www.wotmania.com - It's great as well!

OK so maybe Jordan copied a little off Tolkien..... But all fantasy writers have in some way, write... err right?

Moiraine Sedai

[ 08-27-2003, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: moiraine sedai ]

Xen 08-27-2003 07:00 AM

[img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img]

I think this should be in<a href="http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=11" target="_blank"> Books,
Movies & TV Show Discussions </a> forums.

Legolas 08-27-2003 07:05 AM

Okay, I've read the first one. Now what do I do?

Deejax 08-27-2003 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Legolas:
Okay, I've read the first one. Now what do I do?
Umm, read the second one? ;)

Melusine 08-27-2003 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Xen:
[img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img]

I think this should be in<a href="http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=11" target="_blank"> Books,
Movies & TV Show Discussions </a> forums.

Thank you. I think people will never learn - let's just hope Ziroc doesn't close that forum because of it. Ah well, a mod will find this soon enough and move it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for Jordan, I *wish* he would have copied Tolkien a little more - for instance, his brilliant idea to write a TRILOGY instead of a zillionology. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

DameonRules 08-28-2003 08:56 AM

<font color=green> there is no possible way robert jordan could have put the growth of all of his characters in 3 books. i mean first the boys are just farmers and what they grow to be in only book 8 is amazing. you actually grow to love these character. heck i have heard of parents naming there children after these characters. i truly believe that jordans characters are much more personal then the characters of tolkien. and there are only supposed to be 13 books in the series. </font>

HolyWarrior 08-28-2003 03:02 PM

true enough, Melusine, but there is such a thing as too much character development, and Robert Jordan I fear has crossed the line.

The first trilogy was excellent
the second trilogy was ok
the third trilogy was a snoozer
I doubt if I'll buy Crossroads of Twilight.

But Jordan's not the only one. Terry Goodkind has fallen into the same trap--and he's not nearly as good a writer.

Legolas 08-28-2003 06:14 PM

That's where I would disagree. I find Goodkind's books to be well written and difficult to put down, which, considering the plot and predictability he is working with, is quite remarkable. Eddings and Jordan may hold the upper hand when it comes to world creation, character building and plots, but Goodkind is definately the better writer.
Of course, ever since Memnoch pointed out Martin's work I've found I can have the best of both worlds [img]smile.gif[/img]

antryg 09-02-2003 05:57 PM

I don't want to know what the characters had for breakfast every day for 3 years, each meal described in detail. The last 3 books didn't move the plot along at all. That is why I call this series the Flat Tire of Time. It stopped going anywhere. I've stopped reading it and didn't buy "The Crossroads of Twilight". I encourage others not to buy his books in this series. Otherwise publishers will begin to feel that boring, never-ending stories are what the public wants. Hey Jordan! Here's an idea. If you don't know how to end your story then just say "all the bad stuff stopped and they lived happily ever after". I would prefer that to what we've been getting.

Now if you want to know how I really feel about it, just ask. :D

Bozos of Bones 09-02-2003 07:33 PM

I burned through The Sword of Truth very fast, and now, in waiting for Naked Empire, I am looking for something to read. I've started to read Salcatore, but I awnt something more. I was thinking Discworld or The Flat Tire Of Time(Real good one, antryg) but they said a lot of things about the wheel of time that showed me out. Most of it was that the plot simply stops after book 5. Any alternatives?