Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Workplace Rant (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98790)

Gangrell 03-07-2008 08:38 AM

Workplace Rant

You know, I realize there are lots of unfavorable people out in the world, but I'd like some second opinions on this.

I work for a grocery store, not a bad place and on the norm I happen to enjoy my job. It's simple enough work, I come in 3rd shift, throw my stock up, run my back stock and start work on the displays. Make about 45-50 hours a week workin 6 days, again, not a bad place to work.

My boss however, I hope dies a horrible friggin death that involves a giant fireball.

You see, my manager at times can generally act like a human being, at times. I mean, this guy now that I think about it, even though it is for a grocery store, is one of the most unprofessional guys I've ever had to work for.

If you're having a conversation with another co-worker, he hides behind shelves and products to eavesdrop on what you're saying. He even lies, at a constant rate, just to mess with you because he laughs at the reaction. He's been known to turn co-workers on each other because it amuses him.

You can have a totally normal relationship with him for awhile, then for whatever reason, he will become a giant ass. Workin at a good, fast pace and he'll still walk up, call you names and criticize you and he's been doin it nonstop on me.

Since our co-manager for grocery works during the daytime, he's convinced upper management that he has to be there at night, works (almost always) 7 days a week and most of the time, he just walks around chattin on a phone or talks to customers for well over an hour. Basically, he gets paid over sixteen dollars an hour to twiddle his friggin thumbs every night.

Now, I know what's poppin to some people's minds. Why not report him? There's a problem with that. I work for a union type job, meaning that everyone pays money out of their paycheck to 'not' be fired for a piddly little reason like some places do. He's also been there over twenty five years, the most that can happen is he'll get written up and get pissed.

God, the workplace <i>sucks</i> sometimes.

-Rant, Fin

Bungleau 03-07-2008 08:59 AM

Re: Workplace Rant

Four options come to mind:
  1. Call him on it. Tell him that you won't take that crap, and he'll stop or you'll get his @$$ fired. Be sure to have some documentation of things he's done so he knows you've got the ammo... in fact, a little surreptitious tape recording may be helpful.
  2. Tell on him. Gather evidence and show management. If he's union, though, it will not be easy, and you'll be flagged as a troublemaker.
  3. Get a lawyer and build a harassment case. While not sexual, you've got enough stuff that you can build up a harassment case against him.
  4. Get a new job. Is this the only grocery store in town? I'll be you can get the same position at another one without much difficulty.

I guess ranting is another option while you decide which of the other four is the best to follow. Frankly, though, how much is it worth to you to try to make him into a better human being? It's probably worth more of your effort to decide to broaden your skills and knowledge elsewhere.

Good luck, amigo :)

*edit* I forgot a fifth option... begin the practical joke wars, and make him the target. What could you do to embarrass / humiliate him? The possibilities are almost endless... :hehe:

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 03-07-2008 09:17 PM

Ahh, shut up Gangrell!
Actually, I'm just teasing as you know.

I just got a new manager this week. So far, it hasn't been great.

thecarrotdude 03-09-2008 02:58 PM

Avoid him

Legolas 03-09-2008 03:35 PM

Discuss options with your co-workers. Many complaints are bound to be more effective than one.

Jaradu 03-09-2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legolas (Post 1201680)
Discuss options with your co-workers. Many complaints are bound to be more effective than one.

Ditto. Workers of the world unite! :D

Captain Obvious 03-09-2008 08:31 PM

I woudl go for the practical joke option - in a grocery store there are more possiblities than in most workplaces.

Bungleau 03-09-2008 10:13 PM

That just reminded me of something a friend of mine did... he worked in a grocery store with a boss who was a pain. He got a fish and somehow taped the fish to the bottom of his boss' desk.

Apparently, several weeks later it was really, really nasty...

He was also gone by then... left it as a good-bye present :)

Just sayin'.... ;)

Mack_Attack 03-10-2008 01:16 AM

Well. If you like the job. Avoid him like the plague. Head down work hard. When you get tired of the job move on.

I just find it easier to let things go. You know what kind of boss he is. Work around those restrictions.

I find it easier most of the time. To just work hard and hope to get noticed.

But do not get me wrong. I pick my battles. It just has to be worth while in my mind to make a go of it. So ask your self. Do you want to go to war over this? If so take it on and do as Bung says. Have every thing on paper times and dates and conversations. Also the more people on board with you the better(good luck with that).

Also Gl with the job

Harkoliar 03-10-2008 04:34 AM

too much hassle and little rewards is my opinion for this.

now if there is a way to report anonymously then its to your advantage.