Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How secure is PayPal? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89238)

Hayashi 02-03-2004 11:31 PM

I'm asking because I'm considering setting up an account to donate, probably via credit card. But the only thing that's stopping me is the potential security risk.
So I'd like yo hear from persons who have used the service to share your experience.
Thanks.

Firestormalpha 02-03-2004 11:46 PM

Paypal quite secure. Ebay owns it, .... wait nevermind that doesn't help much does it? ;)

Anyways Paypal is a secure method of payment widely used.

Felix The Assassin 02-04-2004 01:49 AM

It's a SSL 128 bit encyrption layered site. Use it, but always log off, then close your browser before surfing again. You should do that after any SSL site by the way.
Remember, only scammers send out e-mails requesting you to verify this or that once an account is established.

Megabot 02-04-2004 09:02 AM

It's safe i have used it for years no problem [img]smile.gif[/img]

Stratos 02-04-2004 10:57 AM

How does PayPal actually work? Do you open a PayPal account and then move money to it from another bank account or do you pay directly from the bank account? Do you need a credit card to use PayPal?

Cerek the Barbaric 02-04-2004 11:04 AM

<font color=deepskyblue>PayPal is very secure. I've used it for 1.5 years with no problems at all.

It IS linked to a bank account or credit card...but a lot of the sellers on eBay won't accept payment if it is linked to a credit card only.

When you want to put money in your PayPal account, you just click on the tab that says Add Funds. Then type in the amount you want to add. This will initiate an electronic transfer of funds from your bank account to the PayPal account. The funds in PayPal can then be used however you see fit - whether it be paying for an eBay auction or sending donations to IW.</font>

Stratos 02-04-2004 11:18 AM

Thanks Cerek! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Hayashi 02-04-2004 07:35 PM

How do they make money? Say I donate $100 or pay $100 using PayPal to someone. Do they get a commission, meaning that the intended receipient gets less than $100? What's the quantum of the cut? I'm not using the service if say 10 cents out of every dollar goes to PayPal.

Arledrian 02-04-2004 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hayashi:
How do they make money? Say I donate $100 or pay $100 using PayPal to someone. Do they get a commission, meaning that the intended receipient gets less than $100? What's the quantum of the cut? I'm not using the service if say 10 cents out of every dollar goes to PayPal.
Strange as it sounds, I've only ever received money from Paypal. I got $5 for signing up and I've also gotten a dollar or two seemingly randomly here and there. Their service is completely free as far as I know - the only time they ever charge you is if:

A) You draw out money from your Paypal account through an ATM (with their own special ATM card). This costs $1.

B) You request a check from them when withdrawing funds from your account ($1.50).

Firestormalpha 02-04-2004 08:51 PM

Paypal gets it's money through the international lines. It costs to change currency through Paypal. That's where they make their money.