Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   ever wondered what would happen if? (PG13) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87084)

Madman-Rogovich 07-21-2003 11:26 PM

sorry guys i thought id share this with you as its been bugging me for a good couple of hours, what do you suppose would happen if you had both eyes drawn out from their sockets and pointed them directly at eachother?

Nanobyte 07-21-2003 11:35 PM

You'd suffer unmeasurable pain, then go blind? Really, I think the moment your eyes come out of your head, the chance of you seeing again is pretty low.

Madman-Rogovich 07-21-2003 11:42 PM

aye but imagine it was possible what happen man? it warps my mind mabey its just cos its 4.34am that its botherin me so ill go get a little sleep ..

SecretMaster 07-22-2003 12:52 AM

I really wonder how you think of that. But if you could see outta both eyes, it would be like putting two mirrors on opposite ends, or atleast I think.

Indemaijinj 07-22-2003 05:29 AM

I remember one of my friends had a dog whose eye suddenly popped out of the socket. They were able to insert it back into the socket with no harm to the dog's vision.

But then again, a human eye is more properly secured within it's socket than a dog's.

johnny 07-22-2003 05:34 AM

Dude, i told you not to go to that crackhouse anymore. See what happens ? :D

9_1_6 07-22-2003 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nanobyte:
You'd suffer unmeasurable pain, then go blind? Really, I think the moment your eyes come out of your head, the chance of you seeing again is pretty low.
I agree.

FelixJaeger 07-22-2003 09:22 AM

You'd see the other eye... damn that would mess your head up...

It's like if you were a clone, and you found out you were a clone, would it mess up your life because your just a copy?

Bardan the Slayer 07-22-2003 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nanobyte:
Not true. most surgical procedures that require invasive eye tratement are normally performed *after* the surgeon has popped the eye out of it's socket. Or so I heard. Then, when all is said and done, they just pop the eye back in.

But without being under anaesthetic, i get it would hurt, and the risk of infection I would guess to be severe.

On another note, have you ever read Larry Niven's Known Space series? A race of beings called Peirson's Puppeteers can do exactly what you suggested, without having to remove their eyes ;)

[ 07-22-2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Bardan the Slayer ]

andrewas 07-22-2003 03:37 PM

Well, the brain is designed to process images from two eyes in a certain configuration. Changing that configuration by popping your eyes out would be extremely disorientating. (And I rather suspect it would hurt like hell).

I dont know exactly what you would see, but the brain expects the two eyes to point in the same direction, so I would suspect it would interpret the images as two eyes looking at a third, with some very weird depth effects depending on how you position your eyes.