Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   ANNOOOOOOOOOOOOOYING (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36839)

ZFR 07-21-2005 09:16 AM

i chose pixie as my familiar. is there any way to shut off her annoying noise other than breaking her neck???

J'aran 07-21-2005 12:54 PM

'Fraid not. (Edit: Apart from turning off the sound effects, that is.)

If you really can't stand it, you can change familiars on each levelup without any penalties whatsoever.

[ 07-21-2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: J'aran ]

CerebroDragon 07-21-2005 01:02 PM

By turning the sound down perhaps? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

If you find her too annoying, you can always choose another familiar I think when you next go up a level. At least I got the option to do so with my Necromancer, but I've stuck with my panther familiar for the entire game so far. (Up to the Frost Giant area now)

Whilst we're talking about annoyances though, maybe we should compile a petty list! Here are some of my gripes with HoTU.

- The clunky movement system in general!
- Camera angles that go haywire and block your view of the action.
- Getting the *Weapon Inneffective* phrase after casting Tenser's Transformation.
- Bad cutsey dialogue (Its a cop out from actually writing quality stuff!)
- The Mimic Puzzle (Grrrrrrrrr!)
- Halaster's Geas. You'd think that a strong independant thinking character would make removing this his number one priority, instead of assisting a renegade bunch of 'drow'. (!) Makes the game seem just that little more linear than it should be.
- The poor implementation of the Illithid. (Portrayed much better in Darksun and BG II)
- Overly Weak Beholders (Influenced by the steaming pile of poop that was the D&D movie I wonder with its inane beholder?
- The silly Planescape referrences in Chapter 3. They are not subtle, they don't belong and it makes the game's weaknesses stand out more. (why so perky, berky?)

That'll do off the top of my head. Post more anoooooooyances then! :D

Witchdoctor 07-21-2005 02:16 PM

I agree about the Beholders being too easy. My monk with Namarra as a sidekick was able to wipe out a whole nest of Beholders, including bosses, without too much trouble, even when about ten of them ambushed us all at once when we came out of the non-magic caves. I reloaded some, but mainly to see if I could get better treasure from various chests. Admittedly some of the ease may be because the monk has such great saving throws and spell resistance and beholders pretty much do all their harm via spells.

In BG and BG II on the other hand, it would take an entire party of 6, maximally buffed beforehand and working in concert to defeat one or two beholders. And I usually had to reload because someone would get dazed or stunned and knocked out of the fight. Even worse, one of the party might get charmed/dominated, turn against the rest of the party and things would go down hill quick. I also remember petrification being a big problem.

Come to think of it, charm and dominate person just don't seem to be very useful spells, or very fearsome in the hands of enemies. A well-timed charm or dominate monster spell could turn the tide of a battle in BG I & II. I remember slowly winning some battles when all of a sudden one of the tanks starts attacking our own party. I can also remember some tough battles that got a lot easier all of sudden because one of the enemy stopped attacking and turned on the others, thanks to a charm spell. The only useful thing I have done with charm person in NWN is when Oleff wouldn't give my wizard a cleric quest because of low charisma and persuad scores, so I charmed him and got the quests anyway. It seems like the only monsters you can charm are low level ones that would be just as easy to kill in the first place.

[ 07-21-2005, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Witchdoctor ]

Lucern 07-21-2005 03:14 PM

Cerebrodragon: I liked the Illithid in BG 2, but I loved them in Dark Sun 2, complete with thier brainy leader [img]smile.gif[/img]

ZFR 07-21-2005 05:21 PM

i like pixie best because of her remove trap, since am playing mage and using barbarian henchman. saves me trouble of getting tony.
and after some time you get used to noise you no longer notice it.

and speaking of annoyances:
NO QUICK LOAD KEY!! :grr:

T-D-C 07-21-2005 05:25 PM

What Pixie sound ???

Problem Solved

Enjoy!

robertthebard 07-21-2005 05:38 PM

From reading through the posts over there, I guess it was a bigger problem than I thought.

ZFR 07-21-2005 08:32 PM

thanks TDC

ZFR 07-22-2005 05:51 PM

and coming back to annoyances, how about lack of a comprehensive spell list. the one in manual is without vital statistics (especially duration).

I know the spells are explained in game but its very annoying if you play a non-spell-casting character and want to use a potion.
example: a fighter finds a potion of barskin. description says only: uses: casts barskin. and manual only says that barskin improves AC. no numerical statistics nothing whatsoever.
Also annoying if an enemy casts some spell and you want to know exactly what are the effects of what he cast.
A pdf document with full spell description on CD wouldve been useful.