Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Harry Potter Books Make You Dirty (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82692)

skywalker 11-16-2002 08:52 AM

Maine Preacher Shreds Potter Book

Associated Press

Lewiston, Maine — A preacher led a group in shredding copies of Harry Potter books on the eve of the release of the movie "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets."

"I feel like I'm in a cutting mood tonight," the Rev. Douglas Taylor told 30 supporters before bringing out the scissors.

Rev. Taylor said he had wanted to burn the Potter books in protest, but the city would not issue him a permit. He settled for the book-chopping party Thursday night at the Ramada Inn.

The movie was to open Friday. Adapted from the second of J.K. Rowling's best-selling books, "Chamber of Secrets" follows Harry through year two at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where he has a rematch with the evil conjurer who killed his parents.

"It's no secret that I enjoy what I'm doing right now," Rev. Taylor said, ripping up a book. "Hallelujah," said supporter Walter Stradt as he tore and tossed a page out.

About 25 Harry Potter fans waved signs in a counter-protest outside the hotel. One of them, wearing a black trench coat and sporting an orange-and-pink mohawk, went inside and told Rev. Taylor, "You shouldn't be cutting it up. It's a kid's book."

Rev. Taylor charges the Potter books were full of witchcraft and pagan religion.

"You get involved in this," he said, gesturing toward a Potter book. "It's gonna make you dirty."

(Shakes Head)

Mark

From: http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...N/breakingnews

Larry_OHF 11-16-2002 08:57 AM

<font color=skyblue>I got into an argument of this nature with a lady at work. She responded that she was religious, and that her preacher told her not to view this movie or read the books because they are true witchcraft material. I laughed at her, told her I was not only religious, but I was also sensible enough to know Latin words when I heard them, and that Harry Potter no more teaches true witchcraft than Disney's Sleeping Beuty, which she owns. SHe was very upset that my point was valid. Still, her dumb preacher has brainwashed her. The saddest thing is that she has two sons, 5 and 4.</font>

adam warlock 11-16-2002 09:06 AM

it's like punishing Donald Duck and Porky Pig because they not wearing pants

Kaltia 11-16-2002 09:15 AM

LOL *holds her sides and falls of the chair*
This is too good! And listen to this: Two of my best friends are Christian. One is a roman catholic and the other a Baptist. The Baptist prides herself on belonging to a hip, "trendy" church. And, as you know, the Roman catholic church is very uptight.
The Vicar of the Baptist church basically echoed the weirdo in Skywalker's post: Harry Potter=witchcraft etc. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
The Clergyman of Rebecca's(the Roman Catholic girl) church is not only quite cheerful about all of this he recommended the books! said they were a brillaint read and he throughly enjoyed them!

Chewbacca 11-16-2002 12:33 PM

Zealots taste great with the the wine and the chicken is delicious!

Alas, there are more misconceptions about Witchcraft than not it seems. I'm happy that mean old preacher man is not going to see HP. He doesnt deserve it.

Bardan the Slayer 11-16-2002 01:43 PM

And there was I, naively thinking that Nazis were the only idiots dedicated to book burning. Foolish me.

johnny 11-16-2002 01:46 PM

Sheesh, what a bunch of morons.

Beaumanoir 11-16-2002 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by adam warlock:
it's like punishing Donald Duck and Porky Pig because they not wearing pants
lol! Yea, i know what you mean, Its a kids book for god's sake!!

Redblueflare 11-16-2002 03:04 PM

Tell me how can anyone be so much of a religous fanatic to buy book, supposedly full of witchcraft, just to burn it or chop it up. It's a sad sad world... :(

Attalus 11-16-2002 03:08 PM

One thing is sure, the dumb butt never read the book. Or any others, probably.