Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Just an inquiry.. (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87880)

Nanobyte 09-25-2003 11:03 PM

Don't take this too seriously, these are rhetorical questions..

Where did the concept of 'being drunk' originate? If drunk is the past tense form of the verb to drink, how can one be drunk? If people cannot be consumed like beverages, how is this possible?

Just your thoughts please. ;)

[ 09-25-2003, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Nanobyte ]

Bungleau 09-25-2003 11:18 PM

Well.... methinks it lies in the fact that the word is both an adjective and a past tense verb. Apparently, around 1340 AD people started using the word as an adjective, and it's stuck ever since.

Guess they were drunk when they decided [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ouch. Okay, I'll go away now.

The Hunter of Jahanna 09-25-2003 11:28 PM

Maybe it is because "Fitshaced" is too hard to say when your drunk.

Gangrell 09-25-2003 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nanobyte:

Where did the concept of 'being drunk' originate? If drunk is the past tense form of the verb to drink, how can one be drunk? If people cannot be consumed like beverages, how is this possible?

Drunk is the past participle of drink, but is also used as an adjective when someone has excessively comsumbed alcohol. Since it can be used as an adjective, it can be used in the present tense. But then again, I guess it depends in what country you're in when you use it, being drunk, pissed, fitshaced, it's all the same [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Jorath Calar 09-25-2003 11:53 PM

What about "take a *poo*"
you don't take a poo... you leave a poo

Throw up... if you threw up... you'd have to be quick and get away or all the mess would land back on you... much better to throw down.

Blow your nose... is just physically impossible. You have to get someone else to do it for you... but it would have to be a REALLY good friend...

[img]smile.gif[/img]

SpiritWarrior 09-26-2003 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nanobyte:

Almost all the adjectives to describe intoxication are past tense (drunk, plastered, locked, buckled, pissed etc.). I have always understood it though and it has always made perfect sense to me. When you have been 'drunk' you have been consumed, spent, reached your limit, used and abused....errr scrap that last one ;) .

InsaneBane 09-26-2003 05:02 AM

In Denmark we use the term (directly translated) "being full". I always wondered: Being full of what? Alcohol? - And if you throw up (or down), it is still possible for you to 'be full' eventhough 'being empty' would have fit much better [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane

Link 09-26-2003 05:05 AM

:rolleyes: You guys think to much! Go make me some money! ;) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Sir Kenyth 09-26-2003 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Link:
:rolleyes: You guys think to much! Go make me some money! ;) [img]tongue.gif[/img]
They're just under the misconception that English (or any other language for that matter) has to make sense all the time. Words are constantly being invented or used for meanings not originally intended. If someone's witticism is popular enough, it can become a permanent part of the language, whether or not it makes sense. Of course, the passage of time can erode the original humor behind it, leaving a strange term for future generations to ponder over.

The same thing can happen when product names are used interchangably with the items proper name. Like "Kleenex" is almost universally accepted as meaning facial tissue.

Firestormalpha 09-26-2003 07:01 PM

It's like obscene language. The current 3-4 letter words currently known today weren't always THE dirty words. They used to use other ones. Heck, only recently has the word ass been considered indecent. In the appropriate context it simply means donkey or mule. That brings to mind another question. Where exactly did all the recent obscene words originate?