Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   OT...How I love the thrill of a new game (SPOILERS) Warning: It's long. (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13816)

Pyrenk 08-25-2003 03:42 PM

After my countless SoA/ToB games, starting over as many as 20 times in a row, searching for an interesting character to play, I chose one-an Elven F/T. The game was excellent, better than any I've ever played before, until I happened to stumble out of the Underdark. After the conversation with the Elves, I saved the game and left for a few hours.

When I returned, and tried to load the game, it wouldn't work. Nothing I tried helped-even reinstalling the game. Whenever I tried to load it, I got an error message. So, I had to start over.

Sigh.

I didn't get any enjoyment out of the games following the F/T. I had seen all of this before, I knew where all the traps and dangerous enemies were, how to obtain the best equipment. I just couldn't have fun with BGII anymore. I completed the game a few times, with different characters, but it was more akin to listening to my parents give me an old arguement for the -nth time than to enjoying one of the masterpieces of the gaming world. I needed something new. A few days after my birthday, this year (Aug.5), I purchased my own copy of BGI.

Ah, bliss.

I can't relate how much I'm enjoying my game-a solo Fighter (I know that I shouldn't solo for the first game, but the characters move so slowly when compared to BGII. I couldn't resist). The glee I feel when finding a +2 (!) weapon, the thrill of entering a maze, the surprise when a hidden trap takesa away a quarter of my health. This is what I want from a game. If only I could erase any knowledge I have of BGII from my memory...I'd be able to enjoy it as much as I enjoy it's predecessor.

I don't really know the point I'm trying to make. I've been feeling this for some time, and I needed to share it...maybe I'm not the only one.

Fin

-Just realized this: this is also a message to the people who immediately buy the walkthrough to a game, or as soon as they are challenged, post numerous questions on this board as to the solution. Don't. You'll see that you obtain much more satisfaction when you overcome a difficult enemy (say, your first dragon/lich) than a walkthrough could ever give you.

-Sorry about the rant, I was just thinking of it, and the only way to stop was to write this. It's impossible to make your mind stop thinking about a topic that it's interested in unless there's an even more interesting topic, anyway.

-Opinions would be welcome.

-Dundee: If this belongs on the General Discussion forum, feel free to move it there.

ADD-If 666 is the sign of the Beast, and 777 is lucky, what is 888? :D

[ 08-25-2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Pyrenk ]

Faceman 08-25-2003 04:56 PM

well 888 is the real number of the beast 666 only is the devil on a 33% discount
OR
888 is triple infinity
OR
it's 8 eating itself up (eight ate eight)
BTW why was six afraid of seven? - 7 8 9

Dace De'Briago 08-25-2003 05:07 PM

I get like this quite often tbh.

A break of a few months can work wonders for your enthusiasm about the game, though nothing can ever beat the first runthrough.

*sigh*

Jaradu 08-25-2003 07:03 PM

Creating a new character is quite off-putting when you realise you have to go all the way through Irenicus' dungeon before the game turns non-linear. You almost fall asleep while fighting that Cambion...

Playing a whole new game and exploring areas is great, isn't it?

Be happy....

Lord Lothar 08-25-2003 08:42 PM

<font color=cadetblue>Yeah, I know what you're feeling like. I beat the game so many times over, I was sick of it and deleted it. A couple of months later I had a sudden urge to play it again and reinstalled it and it was so much fun to play it again, picking different pcs and npcs than I had before, putting a unique twist on each game.</font>

Sagramore 08-25-2003 09:27 PM

I find that this game is a great memory refresher too...After getting tired of this game about 3 or 4 months ago, I started playing IWD 1, and when i got to a part i didn't remember, I would play BG2 and suddenly remember! Maybe BG2 is the cure for Alzheimers...

Pyrenk 08-25-2003 10:35 PM

By the gods! Saggy, I'm impressed!