Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Some very bad trouble (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59148)

Inis 11-20-2001 12:43 PM

I am in the Mithrest inn, having just rested and saved. As soon as I leave I am surrounded by 5 potion-quaffing spell-casting Harpers (2 fighters, an archer, and 2 spellcasters) who are spoiling for an unavoidable fight due to the previous death of Galvarey and the fact that I am a Bhaal-child. I cannot use magic because I do not have a license to do so in the open in Athkatla, and I cannot defeat Cowled enforcers even when they are all I have to deal with (as opposed to a combination of Enforcers and Harpers). There is no way I can defeat these Harpers that I can see without using magic. I am wondering what suggestions people have. I fear very much that my game has just come to an end since I cannot avoid the Harpers accosting me, nor the ensuing fight, and I cannot defeat them without the use of magic.

I will take this opportunity to ask where the hell one buys a magic license.

Thanks,

Mage Inis

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Inis ]</p>

Sir Exxon 11-20-2001 12:46 PM

I would have just cast magic anyway.
I dont think that the cowled wizards is so tough.
But if you cant defeat them either, go to a previously saved game and get the license!

PS. If you havent cast any spells before, you just get a warning.

see ya!

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Sir Exxon ]</p>

Morgeruat 11-20-2001 02:53 PM

Don't know how to help you, when this happened to me I had just finished clearing out the D'Arnise hold and moved on to windspear, finished off the "monsters" and they showed up, and the what's his name (lives there) came by and took me to his place, pulling me out of combat, I got to come back later and clean their clocks after resting and memorizing spells to wipe them out.

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]</p>

Mitro Jellywadder 11-20-2001 03:41 PM

I don't think the Cowled Wizards mess with you if you stay in the house. They only come after you if you cast in the open. At least that's always the case with me.

If you have a druid, cast insect plague. That will disable the two spellcasters. Then chop-up the rest.

You could always go buy the license, so you don't have to mess with them.

Willard 11-20-2001 06:37 PM

I just said (to jahiera) that I didnt want a fight. They just went away.

Tokain 11-20-2001 06:43 PM

You can buy the magic license from one of the guys in the big building in the government district. Can't remember the name of the building, but it's the same one where you get the quest to find Valygar.

Kezardin 11-21-2001 02:27 AM

Inis

clerics and druids can still cast spells - it's only mages who are prohibited.

You could try prepping your party before they leave the inn whith the standard buffing spells - haste, prot from fear, chaotic commands, bless, stoneskin and such.

When you exit, send one fighter towards each enemy spell slinger, and another towards the archer, to draw his fire. If Jaheira is in your party she can cast insect plague - a cleric could try Holy Smite.

If things go poorly, your hasted party might be able to just run and get to the edge of the map. Go to the govt district and see Corneil in the council of six building about a license.

Or you could try to kill at least one of the Harpers, then reenter the inn. If they don't follow you, rest for 8 hours, then go out and try again - pass the gorgonzola, please :D

Kez

Inis 11-21-2001 02:55 AM

That is what ended up happening. Considering that it took my entire party about 3 minutes to kill just Reviane while she was solo in the inn, it actually worked out for the best being so close to a door. I brought them in one by one until there were 2 outside then I went out there and whacked them. It was not entirely as easy as it sounds however. For the duration of the Harper battle, even when no harper was in the inn, I could not rest. All my party members became fatigued with 2 harpers still to go, and spells ran out around the third harper as well. Not to mention that many spells were absorbed by the confounded Harper pins. Thanks for the advice about clerical/druid spells not being prohibited: I had no idea that was the case. I would swear I talked to everyone in the government building but will go there again. Thanks for that giveaway as well.

Sincerely,

Mage Inis

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Inis ]</p>

Whailor 11-21-2001 03:20 AM

Probably the fight difficulty depends on the level.. I was some lvl 17 with the main char and the rest were between 14 and 17 as well, so that battle was just as easy as beating up a kobold. Didn't even use any other spell then Cure Serious Wounds, since the Revianne wanted to get Jaheira really bad as it seems - she kept whacking only her and kept following her.

I usually send the main char after the most dangerous foe (or casters/healers) and rest of the party will work on the NPC's who close in to the party, or the mob which is a secondary biggest threat. Having the Boots of Speed is always handy, main char (who is human berserker) delivers some fast beating with those on, not to mention he can change the targets fast, or chase anyone down fast [img]smile.gif[/img]

But yes, that Harper bunch wasn't any challenge the last time I met them. Depends on the levels I guess. Funny is that I got Revianne and her team 2 times, but since it didn't seem to affect the game as such in any way, it doesn't then really matter [img]smile.gif[/img] And as for getting out of the fight - I told to Jaheira too that "Stand down your weapons, we do not need to shed any more blood today" or something like that, but it didn't get us out of the fight - Revianne still wanted the blood and so I showed her some of hers..

*Spoiler* named "Praise the Snares!"
------------------------------------

Went yesterday to the Windspear Hills, and got to the room where the sword and shield was. Before I picked them up, good ole Yoshi set the Fire Elemental room up, all his snares, neatly arranged around. Then moved all out, took off Party AI, closed the doors and picked the sword and a shield, which made them spawn in that room. Since they are still all blue, nothing yet happened. Hasted main char (Boots of Speed) went to door, opened it so that the Semia could see him, which triggered the talk AND them going hostile. As soon as the chat was over, main char closed the door! And then.. Kaboom! Damage flying on the screen. Kaboom! 1 death, 1 panic. Bam! Panicked is dead, 2 more panic. Blam! 1 more death. Explosion again. Then, silence. Main char opened the door, walked in, there was this little shivering elf in the corner, panicked.. Main char said to him "Boo!" and he fell over dead. What can I say - love 'em snares! :D

Inis 11-21-2001 10:15 AM

Geez. My main was level 11 with most other characters clocking in at level 9 or 10.